cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Coverage problems in L'Ile Perrot, QC

jmachado743
I'm a participant level 2

Hi, I am really happy with Fido services, but I am getting really hard time to Flag a Coverage problems in L'Ile Perrot, or to contact the good team for it.

I am in the downdtown with a really puer Outdoor level.

The RSRP level in my Garden in the Rue Des Emeraudes, L'Ile Perrot is -108 dBm and i think the ourdoor level should be almost -90 dBm to warantee a good signal coverage (eNodeB = 66356; NID1=58 and NID2=1)

Also the closer neithbor level is -141 dBm (4G)

I have too many drop call or no signal with my face beside the windows. My Battery is dying as a concecuence but the worth situation is 3 Fido Cellphones at home with the same problem.

It is necesary to do a Drive Test and optimaze the eNodeB and also the GSM/3G BTS closer as well.

I am RF enginner  and I was solving this ckind of coverage problems for years with more than 50 sites on the field so I feel frustrared.

Too many areas in the L'ile Perrot has a coverage problems, but my house is located in the center of the Downtown and doesn't make sense to have this issue.

I have some screenshots of the Drive test that I did with best Androit App i found, I don't have a Cell Planner tool anymore so I need your assistance.

Please advise,

***Edited to add labels*** 

5 REPLIES 5

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello Jmachado743,

Welcome to the community!

Is the area a new community? Judging by this screen capture, there do not seem to be very many cellular towers in the area.

Perrot.jpg

Taken from here. I cannot vouch for accuracy.

Have you tried to enable roaming? Depending on your location, your phone might connect to one of the other towers as Fido-EXT (extended coverage). However, it may not help your situation since the other towers are rather sparse as well. You should note that extended coverage is only meant for occasional usage.

Are you aware of any regulations regarding new cellular towers? Some cities/towns have enforced restrictions on location, height, etc of cellular towers. Perhaps that is the reason there are relatively few cellular towers in the area. You might consider contacting your local municipality.

What phone do you have? Does it have all of the compatible bands/frequencies? You can verify them here. If your phone only has limited bands/frequencies, you might consider trying a phone with more of them. The lower frequencies would be better able to penetrate buildings and travel greater distances. That said, you probably already know that since you are a RF engineer...

Have you considered getting a cell signal booster? I understand it is not ideal and is an additional cost, however, it may be the only option if additional towers are not possible

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

jmachado743

Hi, 

One additional question, if I activate the Roaming, that it should be in Automatic.... is going to generate an additional charge?

Thanks in advance

Hey  @jmachado743 , 

Thanks for reaching out about this. 

It definitely looks like you are knowledgeable in the topic and I'll do my best to help along with @Cawtau

Did you always have issues with call reception or this has just started ? It's important to note that we do not guarantee reception indoors, so this might not be something that we're able to fix, just to meet your expectations.   However, if you had no problems with your services before and this only started happening now, something else could explain this.

When it comes to outdoors, how far away from your house does it start working? 

As for the extended network, there is no additional charge  however as previously mentioned by Cawtau, it's only meant for occasional usage. Test it out and let us know how it goes. 

jmachado743

Hi, Thanks for answering.

My House is really close to the 20 hightway and to the 5th Av so it is really in the center of Downtown.

There are 3 phones at home, 2 LG G3 and 1 Nexus (LG), mine is one of the G3 but my son has the Nexus and always I call him, it is offline..... (all of the Fido phone)

In the screenshot i can see there is no Fido BTS or Node B/eNode B close. In another hand the company say there is Fido Coverage.

How may I escalate this coverage problem to the good depparment on Fido?

As I mentioned before, Outdoor in front of my house : -118 of RSRP or worth value, is not a something I should solve, this is something the company should take care, rigth?

I can sing or put our 3 names in any list to the City but this action have to be organized by Fido, right?

Please advise.

Jonathan

Hello again,

@jmachado743 wrote:

... In another hand the company say there is Fido Coverage...

I'm assuming you're referring to the coverage map on the Fido website. Unfortunately, that map is not very accurate. In fact, they note:

The map is a general representation of wireless coverage where indicated. The areas shown are approximate. Actual coverage area may vary from map graphics. ~ taken from here.

That is why I prefer to use the location of the cell towers as a better measure of coverage. 

@jmachado743 wrote:

How may I escalate this coverage problem to the good depparment on Fido?

As I mentioned before, Outdoor in front of my house : -118 of RSRP or worth value, is not a something I should solve, this is something the company should take care, rigth?

I can sing or put our 3 names in any list to the City but this action have to be organized by Fido, right?...

Like I mentioned previously, there might be limitations where cell towers can be placed in the area. I suggested you contact your local municipality to see if there are any such limitations.

It is true, the normal process would involve the mobile company submitting a proposal to the municipality. However, a mobile company is unlikely to submit a proposal plan if there are relatively few customers in the area. Contacting your municipality also starts a communication within your community to establish the need for potential additional towers. 

If additional towers are not a possibility (or in the distant future), you might consider getting a signal booster. I understand it is not ideal and is an additional cost, however, there may not be many other options...

**edit** Have you tried extended coverage?**

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers