cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Checking Phone's VoiceMail messages with computer from overseas

pilgrimpictures
I'm a participant level 2

I am overseas. I purposely left my chip at home, as I didn't want to pay costly roaming charges (and other fees).

I want to open my laptop (have access to internet here) and somehow check my messages that would conceivably be piling up on my phone's voice mail.

HOW CAN I DO THIS?

***Edited to add labels***

11 REPLIES 11

YogiB
I'm helpful level 2
I'm helpful level 2

General tips for people wanting to try this:

- Skype-Out has great rates calling over the world and it's very dummy-proof (easy to use). Just add 10$ to your account and you can start calling. North America is just 2 or 3 cents /minute. Toll-free numbers are completely free though (no need to have Skype credit).

- Apparently Google Voice can call for free to any North American (US mainland + Canada) number. I never tried it out myself, but worth looking into.

It would be great if Fido had a general 1-800 number for clients to call from any local phone or through Skype or add a feature to have voicemail messages forwarded to email as an attached .wav file. My VoIP home phone provider offers both these features, so it shouldn't be too hard for Fido to implement such a thing either.

Liquidrob
I'm a contributor level 2

VOIP

Mike514
How do you do that when you don't even have a 4 digits password? I have visual voicemail on my iPhone and vener had to enter a password to check my voicemail. I tried calling fido to "reset" my password and make it the last 4 digits of my phone number. And it still doesn't work. I haven't been able to check my messages since I left Canada. Can someone help please!?

ViperZeroOne
I'm helpful level 3
I'm helpful level 3

Hi Pilgrimpictures,

In order to check your phone's voice mail you would have to call into your phone's voice mail.  The easiest way to do this is simply call your number, and when your voice mail picks up hit the pound (#) key.  As you mentioned using a computer, there are a multitude of carriers that offer a, sometimes free, VOIP functionality.  This same process will work with them.

--------------------

I am a Fido employee, but my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of Fido or its affiliates. Je suis un(e) employé(e) de Fido mais mes commentaires sont les miens et ne reflètent pas nécessairement le point de vue.

mahmadi
I'm a participant level 1
I tried what you did but why I hit the pound key a beep sounds as if im recording a voicemail and when i dont say anything after that the lady says "ive cancelled your msg." I dont want to record a msg I want to hear my msgs

FidoStephen
Community Manager (Retired)
Community Manager (Retired)

Hi mahmadi,

Does this happen immediately after you access your voicemail? It sounds as though you may be tring to send a voice message or record your greeting. Could you also check in your phone settings to see what the voicemail number is?

chrisg90

would not say be a manager just a raise should be in order lol

vpleung

That is a good reply. Thanks for an volunteed reply from a great Fido employee.  You deserve to be the manager of Fido customer relationship.

Anonymous
Not applicable
The only way that I know of, would be to connect to some kind of Internet Phone gateway over the internet, then you can call the Fido Voicemail Retreival number. Unfortunately I can not help you connect your laptop to an internet to phone gateway, that is something I'm not familiar with.

--
I am NOT a Fido employee, my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of this website and its affiliates.

pilgrimpictures

I guess I could try to Skype call my phone, and use dial tone/ touch key steps to access my voice mail -- if I'm understanding you. 

thanks for the reply; it's been hours and Fido has not replied yet.

=(

Anonymous
Not applicable
probably because there is no demand for such feature... sorry Sad

--
I am NOT a Fido employee, my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of this website and its affiliates.