Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charges for SMS on TALK & TEXT $10/month plan

BrosBros
I'm a participant level 3

Hi,

I'm on TALK & TEXT $10/month plan but recently I got charged for each SMS sent.

Why is that according to the plan I should have 50 outgoing texts included?

Also are incoming calls included in the plan's 50mins?

4 REPLIES 4

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello BrosBros,

Welcome to the community!

To clarify, your plan is one of the Talk & Text pre-paid plans. Is that correct?

If that is the plan you have, are you aware that the $10 per month is actually $10.75? The 75¢ 9-1-1 Emergency Access Fee (some Provinces might charge additional 9-1-1 government fees) is additional (see Full Details, here). If your account does not have sufficient funds to pay for the full monthly fee, a 30¢/text rate and a 50¢/picture and video text rate apply to each text sent to Canadian wireless numbers (30¢ and 75¢ to US wireless numbers, and 35¢ and 75¢ to international wireless numbers, respectively). 

Could that be the reason you're getting charged for your SMS sent?

@BrosBros wrote:..Also are incoming calls included in the plan's 50mins?

All call minutes (incoming, outgoing, to toll-free numbers) would be taken from your 50 minutes. You should note that the minutes included with that plan are local minutes and not Canada-wide. That is, long-distance (LD) charges could be incurred. You should note that it's possible to also incur LD charges on incoming calls as well, depending on your local calling areas.

Your incoming LCA is based on the geographical location that is associated with your number (ie 416 is GTA). It has nothing to do with your own physical location at the time you receive a call. On the other hand, your outgoing LCA is determined entirely by your physical location at the time of a call, and has no ties to any specific geographical location, other than the one in which you're standing.

All incoming and outgoing calls are considered airtime. Receiving calls while outside of your incoming LCA is considered LD. Making calls while roaming can either be local or LD, depending on whether the call destinations are within or outside of your outgoing LCA.

So, if you had a 416 area code number but received a call while you were in Vancouver, it would be considered LD -- even though the call might have originated from Vancouver. In the same situation, making calls to Vancouver would be considered local while calls to Calgary or Toronto would be LD

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

BrosBros

Hi,

On the 16th of February I made 2 transactions of $11.50 which makes $23 into the account.

On the 1, 3,  4, 5 of March I was charged for my incoming calls and I didn't talk for 50 minutes before that so why is this charge?

If the real price to use the plan is 10.75 why this is not included in the monthly refill charge, so people doesn't have to verify constantly their balance to be sure that they have those additional $0.75?

If the account is missing this amount you could include this information in the confirmation SMS when the recharge is done so people are awere that they don't have 50 SMS anymore.

To me it sounds as conflict of interest as Fido is gaining money by silently swithching to a SMS charge mode.

Hello again,

Thank you for the additional information.

@BrosBros wrote:..On the 1, 3,  4, 5 of March I was charged for my incoming calls and I didn't talk for 50 minutes before that so why is this charge?...

Is it possible those charges were for long-distance if you were outside of your incoming local calling area? Did you make/receive any calls after those dates? If yes, were those calls charged?

@BrosBros wrote:..If the real price to use the plan is 10.75 why this is not included in the monthly refill charge, so people doesn't have to verify constantly their balance to be sure that they have those additional $0.75?...

I believe the top-up amounts need to be in dollars -- anything less than a dollar (ie 75¢) would not be accepted. While the smallest denomination for top-up is $10 (see here), you could occasionally top-up with additional funds to ensure your account has adequate monies for the 9-1-1 fees.

@BrosBros wrote:To me it sounds as conflict of interest as Fido is gaining money by silently swithching to a SMS charge mode.

It is always the customers' responsibility to monitor their usage and to ensure their accounts have sufficient funds. You can monitor your usage via My Account (see here).

If you would like to discuss your account details, you would need to contact customer service. Alternatively, you might consider sending @FidoSolutions a PM. Once they verify some information, they'll also be able to access your account.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

BrosBros

Hi,

No, there were not a long-distance calls.

If top-up amount have to be in dollars why it's not possible to change it to $11 to be sure that 911 fees are always covered?

Also My Account doesn't show how much SMS are left.