cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best buy sales rep lied

Arms999
I'm a participant level 2

When I bought my phone. Best buy staff said I am financing the phone and its not a contract, separate from my plan. 1 year later phone breaks and fido charging me 330 bucks extra to break the contract I never agreed to. I asked to see my contract I signed, they said they will email it to me. Nothing sent. This phone brand new the a51 costs 399 in store or less. I've been paying it for 1 year and they want 330?? Very deceptive. Never agreed to it and no help from cs department. They r putting the blame and bill on my shouĺders. They said they want to see things in writing but when I ask them to send me contracts or names of people I'm dealing with to get things in writing, they won't do it. 

5 REPLIES 5

Arms999

Actually nobody has a copy of my contract, Ive contacted Fido for a copy as well as best buy where i bought it, nothing on file, and no one can give me the contract I signed to look over so its a bit weird to hold me to a contract they dont even have. My phone broke, Id like to get a new one, I can continue financing my broken one as its cheaper than what Fido is charging me to pay it out, but they wont let me without a plan so, i said id like to see what my contract indeed said about that and no one can show me that contract i signed when i bot my phone. no one has it. Very strange, i tried everything. if you have any ideas about that let me know.

Hello again,

I understand you have not yet been able to get a copy of your contract. However, you can view this sample Device Financing Agreement. Does that form look familiar? If you financed a device, you should have been provided with that document.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

Hello again,

If you would like to continue financing your current phone, you would need to purchase your new phone outright. Only one device can be financed per line at a time with the Payment Program:

Payment Program.jpg

~taken from here.

In addition, if you cancel your services (ie without a plan), you would be charged the outstanding balance of the device (see FAQ from above). The financing is associated with the line, not your account. You should note that if you cancel your services, you would likely not be able to regain your phone number. If your current plan is not in-market, you would also not be able to regain your plan.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello Arms999,

Welcome to the community!

Sorry to hear you broke your phone. I understand that the Best Buy employee might have misspoken when they said it wasn't a contract. For that, you might consider letting Best Buy management know that some of their mobile employees might require additional training. However, you did agree to finance a phone. You received a phone without paying its full cost and pay a monthly financing fee towards paying that device. As mentioned previously, that is the contract.

Since you agreed to finance a phone, you would be required to pay the remaining balance for the device even if it became lost or broken. The amount they are charging to break the contract is not an extra fee. It should be the remaining balance owing on the device. I understand it's frustrating and financially unexpected having to pay for a phone you might have lost or broken. However, it is not unreasonable for company to expect full payment for that device. You should be able to view the remaining balance by clicking on Upgrade My Phone in your My Account (see here). It should then show you the balance owing and the end-date of your contract.

I understand your remaining balance might be similar to current retail pricing for a new device. However, those costs are not really comparable. After 14 to 18 months (5G version vs 4G version), a device's retail cost is going to be less than when it was first released. However, your financing is based on earlier retail costs.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

KAPABLE-K
MVP MVP
MVP

Hello @Arms999,

Welcome to the community!

While the financing of a device is indeed separate from the plan once you finance a device it is a contract just like any other financing.

You should note BestBuy mobile is not Fido employees they are a third-party reseller and when you did the device financing you would have had to sign paperwork and a copy would have been provided to you that would be your contract. 

If you do not have the copy then you probably would want to go back to the BestBuy location and see if they can get you the copy as it should be sitting with them.