cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Add 2nd line to my account, cancel the first line.

happymelo
I'm a participant level 3
Hello, I've been using Fido for 10 months with my own device (BYOD). Can I add a second line (BYOD) and then cancel the first line? I plan to activate the second line through My Account. Thank you.

3 REPLIES 3

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello Happymelo,

Welcome to the community!

I assume the second line would have a plan you would prefer? Unfortunately, I do not believe what you're hoping to accomplish is possible. 

Offers for adding a second line tend to be appealing because they would include incentives and/or discounts for being an additional line. If you cancel the first line, the other line would no longer be an additional line. It would likely lose any incentives or discounts since it would now be a primary line.

In addition, you would not be able to switch your phone number to that second line.

If you would like a different plan, you would need to change the plan on your first line.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

happymelo

Thank you for your reply. While there are no special offers or discounts for the second line, it does have less data but is cheaper. I want to change my number and switch to a lower data plan, as my data usage is not very high. I'd like to keep both the old and new numbers for a week or two, to give me enough time to update my records with CRA, bank, etc.

I tried to create a new account, new e-mail but I used my Fido number, the online application/activation doesn't allow me. It prompted me to call a number but it takes forever to talk for them. 

Hello again,

My point was that the pricing for the second line may be specific for it being an additional line. The same plan may cost differently as a main line. It's possible the cost of the line may increase once you cancel your current line.

@happymelo wrote:

....I tried to create a new account, new e-mail but I used my Fido number, the online application/activation doesn't allow me. It prompted me to call a number but it takes forever to talk for them. 

As far as I am aware, the second line will need to be on your original account. Or else it would not be considered a second line.

If you are unable to add the line online, you will unfortunately need to contact customer service for assistance.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers