cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

35$/350 Minutes monthly plan - when travelling, do calls use included plan minutes or charged extra?

rakitheraccoon
I'm a participant level 1
I'm a participant level 1

Hi!

I have a Fido monthly plan - 350 Minutes + Unlimited Evenings and Weekend + Unlimited text messaging. I am travelling for 2 weeks around Québec and want to be able to receive calls on my cell.

My question is: is this plan 'zoned' like CityFido is and therefore, will my incoming calls incur out of zone charges for every minute or can I use the  included 350 minutes for all incoming and outgoing calls as long as you are on the Rogers network anywhere in Canada?

Can anyone help?? Thanks

***Edited to add labels***

4 REPLIES 4

10yearfido
I'm an expert level 2
I'm an expert level 2

The plan is unzoned, so you will not incur any out of zone charges, ever. However, you will still be responsible for long distance charges related to your Local Call Area (LCA), which is not the same as zones. When you leave you local calling area, you will be charged, per minute, for all calls you receive and answer. You will also incur long distance charges for all calls you make that are long distance from the location you are currently in.

Basically, you have two LCA's. An incoming and an outgoing. Your outgoing LCA travels with you. So, any outbound calls you make that are local to your physical local are local and will come out of your 350 minutes (or unlimited evenings). Any outbound calls you make that are long distance to you physical location will incur long distance charges. Your incoming LCA stays in your home area (the local area where your phone number is registered). So, then when you leave your home LCA, all incoming calls are considered long distance and will incur long distance. Further, if the person calling you is making a long distance call (say from Quebec calling to your Toronto number while you are in Quebec) they will incur long distance for calling a Toronto number and you will incur long distance for receiving a call in Quebec (assuming you are from TO in this case).

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks 10YearFido. I was also pretty sure only UNLIMITED plans came with Zone restrictions. When I heard the OP said he had a bucket of minutes and a Zone restriction, I knew something was wrong, misinformation perhaps? oh well hope this helps.

10yearfido
I'm an expert level 2
I'm an expert level 2

I don't think the OP was stating that their plan was zone, but asking it it was zoned and if it was zone, then would they incur OOZ fees.

This is another example of customer confusion over the concept of zones. Fido should really do away with that artifice entirely. It only serves to confuses customer and possibly upset them. It definitely does nothing to create goodwill.