cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Port forwarding and NAS with Fido Hitron modem?

Unsatisfied
I'm a contributor level 1

I would like to create a NAS and access it remotely because I live in two cities and carrying my iTunes library back and forth on an exernal HDD is a drag. 

I am building the NAS with an old laptop and FreeNAS (or perhaps Amahi?)

What do I need to do with port forwarding? I can log into the Hitron modem/router screens but I am uncertain how to use port forwarding... such as how many and which ports to open. 

Has anyone successfully done this with Fido home internet? What are your tips?

4 REPLIES 4

gherna1support
I'm a participant level 2
I'm a participant level 2

Hi! The port forwarding is the easier of the two parts. iTunes is very particular in that it allows you to connect to different libraries, and each time it forces you to use one library at least 30 days before you can switch to another library. 

Contact Apple and find out whether your plan is supported by iTunes library. Apple is very proprietary and what you wish to do may not work. 

FidoMegan
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hi @Unsatisfied

Port forwarding isn't something we support so we have limited information on it. Here's where you can go to add port forwarding in the modem though:

1. Open a web browser and enter the following address to access the gateway login page: 192.168.0.1. 
2. Login with:

- Username: cusadmin 
- Password: password

The password may be the same as your current wireless password/Passphrase if the Easy Connect Software was originally used to configure your wireless network.

3. Click Basic.
4. Click Port Forwarding.

Hope that helps!

Unsatisfied

Thanks, but I already knew how to find port forwarding in the Hitron access tabs. 

What I'm hoping for is some help on how to use it properly. 

A previous CSA advised to go to the Rogers support group for the Hitron, but the people there are talking about far more advanced nuances and not about how to 'get started.' 

There doesn't seem to be a middle ground of information between "we don't know" and "way too technical."

It will be necessary to contact our customer service to have more information on this.

You can find the channels to reach us here.