cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Modem relocation

Caseythebeagle
I'm a participant level 1
I'm a participant level 1

i am moving my router (CGN3AMF) to a different part of the basement. The incoming cable is already attached to a splitter. All the cable was run by a Rogers technician when originally installed. The splitter has 1 cable to the router in its current location and the other runs to the other end of the basement.

I now want to move my router to the other end of the basement and attach it to the cable that is there. However, when I do this the router receives the signal but is not sending the signal.  IE. The power light is on the incoming house light below it is on but the outgoing house light is flashing and will not stay on.

Can anyone suggest why this would be?

1 REPLY 1

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello Caseythebeagle,

Happy New Year and Welcome to the Community!

According to the manual for that modem, a blinking upstream LED signifies:

The CGN3 is searching for an upstream frequency
on the CABLE connection.

I understand the cable was run by a Rogers technician, but it's possible that there is an issue with the splitter or cable which could be degrading the signal by the time it reaches the other end of the basement. You might consider swapping the two cable ends on the splitter to see if one side might be defective.

This Resident Expert in the Rogers Community replied to a similar situation here.

Since the issue appears to be cable or splitter related, you might consider replacing either or both. If you don't require the signal to be split, you might also consider a coupler instead. Alternatively, you might also consider contacting technical support. They may need to test the signal at the other end of the basement.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers