cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fido Internet Totally Unreliable

Spencer11
I'm a participant level 2

I signed up to the 150/15 unlimited plan last Dec. It worked well at first, getting speeds of 300 which is fine. In Jan. the internet stopped and I tried the normal modem reboots, unplug, etc. Called tech support and went down his list of my sending a photo of setup, unplug, etc. He said his diagnostics showed something wrong, and a service tech would be sent out to the house. Meanwhile he would do a factory reset to see if that helped. It did, internet now working. Serviceman arrived and checked everything out. Line was fine (connects directly from modem to outside line, no splitters), plenty of signal, all connections good. He replaced a connector from inside to outside line just in case. Internet worked for another two weeks and then went down. Called tech support but cell phone couldn't last through the hour on hold. Since the factory reset from Fido worked once, I tried it again and everything was back to normal. Since factory resets seem to temporarily fix the problem, I have done approx 10-12 factory resets since Jan. when the internet stops. Not great during covid as all communication, online learning, video, etc. goes out. Internet went down 4 days ago, and this time it would not come back even with numerous modem factory resets. I waited on hold (transferred many times, each time on hold and explaining my situation to each person who answered.) Got through to a tech who had my history on file. Went through his list (send a picture of setup, unplug, change electical outlets, etc.) This is back to square one now as this had all been done six months ago with no resolution. I am now informed that it is likely the modem (Hitron Coda-4582U), and he gave me an authorization number to swap out one locally (live in a major city). Next day I called everywhere and no modems in stock. Back to Fido tech support. Their call sequence is to call the number listed on their site, hold, then speak to a Customer Service Rep. (Ontario) and gave history. She then transferred me again, put on hold, speak to a tech and give history again. Tech explains that he is with cellphone dept. and can't help me. Now transfers me to internet tech. in Montreal, on hold, go through history again. Tells me even though I have an authorization number for modem replacement, they cannot send one out for an exchange. They have to send a service tech to the house to check things out, and he will bring a modem if required. I'm getting a little hot under the collar now, and am again put on hold now to arrange a service appointment. Turns out a different tech now answered and I go through everything again. This time though, he sounds knowledgeable about modems and internet. Says he is a computer engineering student, so far so good! He does numerous resets of my system, changes settings, records data, and says everything looks fine at my end. He said the modem is good, but thinks the problem is within Fido netowrking. My upload speed is fine (16mb), but download is averaging about 1.8 mb which might let me send out an email here & there. He has now "escalated" the complaint to their networking dept. He thinks the networking problem has been ongoing since my account was opened. Now at 4 days without internet & no response from Fido. I don't think I will live long enough to see this resolved........

4 REPLIES 4

Spencer11

Called Fido Tech Support again.  Going with new FTTH provider if unresolved today.  Said they would send out another technician (Rogers)  He went through everything inside & out, no problems at my end.  This fellow seemed helpfull and wanted to solve the problem.  He had a new modem in the truck, plugged it in, and Presto, problems solved.  He thinks I had received a bad modem from the start, but factory resets would bring it back temporarily.  I had asked the first tech for a swap 6mos ago, but he didn't think it was necessary.  (Again with Fido support) Would have save a lot of down time & calls to Fido......  Hopefully internet will work now..

Preston70
I'm a contributor level 1
I'm a contributor level 1

Wow I guess this is what I'm up against, having issues as well getting tired of calling and sitting on hold. Might be time to switch, don't think Rogers will be any better since it the same company. I might have to give Bell a call sadly 

FidoKenny

Hello @Spencer11 and welcome to the Community.

I took the time to go over what was explained here and it's definitely not the experience want our customers to have with their Fido Home Internet.

Following your conversation with our tech support, I do invite you to contact them once again for a follow-up. They have the necessary tools on their end to troubleshoot your device and get this resolved.

Keep us updated.

Spencer11

Update - The tech I most recently spoke with a few days ago seemed to have some expertise on internet problems.  After running numerous diagnostics on the modem he determined the dropped internet connection was within Fido Networking, he wrote up a lenthy report, and escalted the complaint to Fido networking.  He said the issue usually takes about 48hrs. to resolve.  He suggested closing the account and opening a new one if not resolved.  48hrs. later 8:00pm  just as he said,  - Hooray! It's back on again, working fine.  Next morning, no internet.  Been down now for another 2 days......