cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTP from laptop to tablet

brashley46
I'm a contributor level 2

With my former ISP I got used to being able to transfer files from my laptop to my tablet by FTP, particularly ebooks in my Calibre file to my fbreader client on my tablet. That does not seem to be working. The fbReader app on the tablet does not seem to see the Calibre FTP port on port 8080 on my laptop. Is this blocked?

13 REPLIES 13

KAPABLE-K
MVP MVP
MVP

Hey @brashley46,

If it does not work automatically you might have to configure the firewall setting in the modem or set up a port forward. 

brashley46

Okay, I guess I will have to figure out how to port-forwrd in ths new modem/router!

Hello again @brashley46,

I do not have Fido internet I'm not sure which modem you have but if you open a web browser and enter the following address to access the modem login page: 192.168.0.1.  Once you log in click Basic -> Port Forwarding.

brashley46

My response was premature ... I cannot log in from there.

Hey @brashley46,

What happens when you try to login?

The user should be cusadmin and password should be the same as your WiFi password.

brashley46

Thanks, that works, now to see if I can do it.

brashley46

Okay ... I got into the port settings on the basic screen. Tried to open 8080 on both devices. Succeeded but it did not work.  Now stumped. Off to bed.

Hey @brashley46,

What setting is the modem's firewall set to? Try changing it to minimum and see if you can connect, I've had instances where the firewall settings in my Rogers's modem would interfere with connecting to my DVR internally.

If you are connecting to the laptop from the table then you need to forward the port to just the laptop, not both.

This site here could also be helpful to you.

brashley46

Thanks ... I am a member at mobilread forums. It had not occurred to me to check there!

brashley46

and mobileread has nought to say about this particular problem. Drat.

Hello again @brashley46,

Let's continue to try to fix the problem here, please don't create another post.

We will start from the beginning, make sure the software you are using on the tablet to FTP to the laptop has the correct IP address that the laptop is using.

Once you make sure you have the correct IP address for the laptop and it still is not connecting log in to the modem and change the firewall settings to minimum and save it, you might have to reboot the modem after. 

If it is still not working make sure you have the port forwarded to the IP address of the laptop. Once you get it working change back the firewall setting in the modem.

brashley46

I had not thought to reboot the modem. I suppose I might try that later today. Thanks!

I have also asked the Mobilereads forum for help, shall see what they have to suggest.

brashley46

Loops, I cannot sign in there.