cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New badge email sent to OLD OLD email address - how does this happen?

tofinogirl
I'm a participant level 2

I'm totally puzzled as to how and why FIDO sent a "new badge" (the "You're Registered") to an email address I haven't used in several years! I also haven't been on the FIdo Community forum for several years... perhaps this email was a result of the site revisions?   

What concerns me is that I initially thought the email was phishing but it seems legit.

So how is FIDO using an address for communication that hasn't been on my account for several years? I double-checked my email address in both the Community and in the main page/My Account.

What's up FIDO?

7 REPLIES 7

freesoul

I got an email from Fido too this morning that I earned a new "You're Registered" badge. I got scared too whether somebody hacked my account. Prompted me to go in and changed my password.

Would be good if someone from Fido would chime in whether this was some kind of their system refresh.

FidoStephen
Community Manager (Retired)
Community Manager (Retired)

Hi everyone,

The email you received concerning a recent registration was sent in error to all present and past community members. Please disregard and note that the email was sent from a legitimate party and your information is safe.

If you’re no longer a Fido customer and do not wish to receive these emails, you may click on Unsubscribe at the bottom of the email.

We apologize for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

redzzzz
I'm a contributor level 2

I received two of the "new badge" emails ... one for an account (community forum) from 2010 ( I didn't even know I had) and apparently was used to ask a question about my "new iPhone 4 " ( example of how old the forum account was/is)  and the second email was for the user account that I haven't signed in on since 2017!!! 
" Please disregard and note that the email was sent from a legitimate party and your information is safe."  offers NO comfort and NO explanation to how/why this "error" occurred !!! In today's day of data breaches and vulnerabilities - I think Fido owes more than a generic explanation- define "legitimate party"  and who/what the "Legitimate party" was doing when they "sent out registration badge emails in error" while clearly accessing our emails that Fido "keeps safe". 

redzzzz

If nothing else - it was effective way to get attention of OLD accounts and get us to post ! We deserve more than a badge ! 

JubyDuk
I'm a participant level 1

Just to say the e-mail also wasted 30 minutes of my life I’ll never get back. Thanks Fido. 

Atliu

I thought it was worse than phishing, I thought someone had hacked my fido account... And I specifically took care to not click the email, log in and double-check my credentials and other aspects of my account. Awful feeling.

tofinogirl

I totally agree! It was so suspicous!  I didn't click any of the links and came to the site instead to check into it, and even then it was almost impossible to get into the Forum.... the website kept sending me back to FIDO.ca to sign in, even though I was already signed in. And even replying to your comment was challenging... I kept getting bounced back to Fido.ca, and finally got through by changing browsers.

Let's hope FIDO takes note of this issue!