Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iOS 8 WiFi Calling

AndyHuang
I'm a contributor level 1

Team;
My house seems to be painted in some radioactive protection paint, as I can only get 1 bar of signal at all time. I know iPhone WiFi calling is only available in USA With T-Mobile at this time, but I'd really love to push the notion of working with Apple to enable it for us on Fido, so I can pay for this service. Is there anything I can do to help?

Thanks!

3 REPLIES 3

FidoMaria
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hi everyone!

I know that this post is relatively old, but I still wanted to share an update. Smiley

As you probably know by now, WiFi Calling is available at Fido (yay!). You can read all about it here

Cheers!

10yearfido
I'm an expert level 2
I'm an expert level 2

AndyHuang wrote:
Team;
My house seems to be painted in some radioactive protection paint, as I can only get 1 bar of signal at all time. I know iPhone WiFi calling is only available in USA With T-Mobile at this time, but I'd really love to push the notion of working with Apple to enable it for us on Fido, so I can pay for this service. Is there anything I can do to help?

Thanks!

http://forums.fido.ca/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/Smartphones/message-id/17966#M17966

I started a thread about this back in June. Rogers was the 2nd carrier in the world to announce support for this at the time, right after TMobile in the US. the day it was available TMobile launched it and has been heavily promoting it ever since. But here in Canada, Rogers has not said anything on the matter since promising it over 8 months ago. Nothing, nada, zip, zilch.

The best they been able to put together is something like "we always want to improve our network and will let you know" which says all of nothing. It's unfortunate but I don't think they are going to actually release it and their statement at the time was meant to bait existing customers to stay and for new customers to sign up. Telus has announced that they plan to support it shortly.

Unless and until Rogers actually supports it, there is very little chance that they will allow Fido to support it, basically none.

xero9

Worse yet, I don't think Rogers/Fido needs to "work with Apple" to get it to work.  Please correct me if I'm wrong, but essentially Rogers needs to have the service set up on the backend and should be able to roll out a new Carrier Settings update which should allow wifi calling to be enabled.

Someone (I can't remember who, it might have been you 10yearfido) that they might be waiting until they roll out VoLTE to allow for a more seamless handoff if you go from wifi -> cellular.  Currently, I don't know how it would work if your phone is on wifi/LTE and suddenly you step out of your house because the phone would have to shift to 3G for the call.

Interestingly, I've been using FaceTime Audio for a lot of my calls lately, and works beautifully going from wifi -> cellular (as in the handoff happens without even noticing).  While it's not wifi calling by any means, it makes me happy that IF they ever offer it, it'll work amazingly.