cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why doesn't Fido offer sustainable phones?

rendy23
I'm a participant level 1
I'm a participant level 1

I'm really tired of supporting Apple and other unethical companies. Would be great if Fido offered payment plans for phones from sustainable companies like Fairphone: https://shop.fairphone.com/en/?ref=header

1 REPLY 1

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello Rendy23,

Happy New Year and Welcome to the Community!

Unfortunately, the mobile providers cannot offer devices which might not be compatible with the networks. Fairphone doesn't appear to have made a Canadian version of their device. In fact, they don't even ship their devices outside of Europe. Community members have previously enquired whether Fairphone devices would work on the networks. The earlier phones did not have sufficient compatible bands/frequencies to operate properly on the networks (see Fairphone, Fairphone 2, Fairphone 3). You can view the compatible bands/frequencies here. Even their newest device is missing some potentially key bands/frequencies (see Fairphone 4). While the device might work adequately on the networks, people might complain that they are offering devices which do not have all of the compatible bands/frequencies.

If any of the mobile provers were to carry Fairphone devices, Fairphone would likely need to develop a fully compatible version as well as partner with the mobile providers so the devices could get tested and certified on the networks.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers