Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WIFI Connection bb 8900

canadarocks
I'm a participant level 3

Hello,

I am new with bb and need help setting wifi on my unlocked T-mobile BB-8900 (v4.6.1.231).

Things to consider:

I do NOT have any data plan with my carrier (Fido), but would like to browse net on my bb using wifi

Under Options/Advanced Options/Browser, its set to "Hotspot Browser"

I ran wifi-setup-wizard, it saw my router (network name "duke"), and i entered the correct key/password. Also, its set to automatically obtain IP & DNS

On the home screen, in the top-middle it says "Fido-duke"

Under Manage connections, the wifi says "duke", but there NO green mark, just a white-dash

I tried to ping to my router, but it was unsuccessful

Under Options/Advanced options/TCP/IP, there is a check-mark beside APN Settings Enabled, APN: epc.tmobile.com

need help

thanks

***Edited to add labels***

5 REPLIES 5

Anonymous
Not applicable
you are probably missing the wifi browsing service book. this is unfortunately only pre-loaded on fido branded phones, other carriers unlocked phones may not contain this service book so the only way to have it sent is to subscribe to a data plan, which is not what you want

canadarocks

1. How can I check that I'm missing wifi service books?

2. Even with missing service books, how come there is no "Green mark" beside my wifi connection under "Manage Connections", though the network name appears. Could this also be due to missing service books?

thanks

Anonymous
Not applicable

Green checkmark means BIS connections are being tunneled through the active wifi access point. If you don't subscribe to BIS, you wont have the service books on your phone.  Try using bbm, if it doesnt work, thats why, you need to subscribe to a data plan for it to work.

canadarocks

1. Is the installation of service book just a one time thing?, i.e. once I have the service book, then can I browse net (thru wifi) without a data plan?

2. Are the service book different for every carrier?

thanks

Hello canadarocks,

You would have to keep the data option to be able to continue browsing on your handset using WiFi. Also, the service books are different for every carrier.

I hope this answers your questions.