cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unlock phone for free - CRTC new rule

Th3Gassman
I'm a participant level 1
I'm a participant level 1

I bought a phone IN Canada, from a supplier who offered US-markFIet phones. Then the LG G4 developed and showed its bootloop problem; so I had it repaired, laboriously. Sent it to Texas, and retrieved it when I visited friends in Colorado. (LG Canada cannot repair US market phones.)

But ... LG US relocked the phone when they reset it to the factory setting. Now there are two institutions of which neither can offer the unlocking code:

• Fido, which is obliged to unlock phones for free, but only after December 1st, 2017
  • LG US, which tells me to ask my provider for the courtesy

Any ideas how to find a work-around for this? Help ...

***Edited to add labels***

2 REPLIES 2

FidoCatherine
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hey there @Th3Gassman

Thanks for reaching out to the Community!

I'll have to agree with @KAPABLE-K's suggestion about this. 

After getting in touch with the phone manufacturer, I'd definitely encourage you to get back to us here & share the outcome Smiley Thanks again for getting in touch!

KAPABLE-K
MVP MVP
MVP

Hello @Th3Gassman,

Welcome to the community!

If LG relocked your phone after you sent it in for repairs they should be the one to unlock it for you. Even if the new rule started today Fido still will not be able to unlock the phone for you because the phone is not from Fido.

Your options at this point would be to take it up with LG or have it unlock through a third party unlocking company.