cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trying to purchase a Fido Pre-paid plan and unable to

Geo3
I'm a participant level 3

Hi! I live in Tillsonburg, ON and I'm trying to purchase a Fido Pre-paid plan. When I visited the Rogers store in town they would not allow me to purchase the plan because my Driver's license states that I live out of town. 

But I can purchase a Chatr plan since Chatr has no such restriction. Why is that?

I am already a Fido Internet customer and now Fido wants me to drive to Kitchener in order to purchase a pre-paid plan. 

It's ridiculous!

5 REPLIES 5

Good morning @Geo3 , are you saying that you live in Tilsonburg and don't have identification to support that? Do you live in Ontario? If your identification shows an Ontario address, you should be able to get a mobile plan. Unless your identification shows you live out of province, then that would be the issue. Mobile plans vary province to province and therefore you would have to open/apply for a plan in the province that your identification shows. 

Geo3

Hi Original_Lucy, thanks for gettng back to me on this! There's no out of province issue here. My ID is my driver's license which has my Mississaiga address on it.  For personal reasons, I stay in Tillsonburg a few weeks every month. When I went to the Rogers store in Tburg, they told me that since my ID has a Mississauga address on it that that was outside the "scope" that Fido supports and they were unable to sell me the phone plan I wanted. But here's the thing... I was told that if I was going to purchase a Chatr mobile plan there would be no issue with my address.

I would prefer a Fido plan since I have Internet service already with Fido and the service is very good, plus the plan that I was after was competitively priced.

I don't understand why I need to drive either back to Mississauga or drive to Kitchener to purchase the plan.

Hello Geo3,

Welcome to the community!

Sorry to hear you're having issues getting pre-paid service with Fido from the location in Tillsonburg. Is it possible that particular location does not offer Fido cellular services? I understand how strange that notion does sound. Yet, that location does not seem to list pre-paid or even phones / SIMs as available services.

When searching the location here, the Rogers store in Tillsonburg is listed. However, if Prepaid Airtime and/or Phones and SIM Card Stuff are selected as Wireless services, the closest stores listed are in London or Brantford. The Fido (Available in the Rogers store) location is no longer listed (see below).

Tillsonburg.jpg

~taken from link above

When looking at the store listing for Chatr, they do list that location.

I don't know how accurate the store services listing is on the website, however, it could explain why you were unable to obtain pre-paid cellular services from that location.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

Geo3

Thanks for responding Cawtau! Just to clarify, the T'burg store doesn't sell pre-paid plans for Fido but they do for Rogers or Chatr? 

Everyone I've spoken to is incredulous at this. Even Fido themselves have asked me what is going on.

Hello again,

As I said, it does seem strange. I cannot state why that location might choose to not offer Fido cellular services. Any possible reason I suggest would be mere speculation. I can only offer the information available. For whatever reason, that location is not listed when selecting Fido cellular services as an available service.

Cheers