cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Time for a blowout sale on Huawei P30 Pro

Proac
I'm qualified level 1
I'm qualified level 1

With all the controversy swirling around Huawei and the US ban on technology its time to blowout the Fido stock of P30 Pro 

4 REPLIES 4

FidoSaira

Hey @Proac

We will continue selling the device on our end.

The security of our networks is very important to us, and we collaborate with government and industry partners to ensure our networks are safe and secure.  We have a rigorous process in place when we look at any potential supplier as part of the ongoing work we do in this area. In addition, every device we sell meets all Government of Canada standards and are certified for use in Canada, including any Huawei devices.

Proac
I'm qualified level 1
I'm qualified level 1

That's a nice canned response but Fido and for that matter Canada have zero leverage in this political grudge match. The US and Google don't give a hoot about the Canadian consumer or the perceived value of the devices we own. Very few people will be interested in an ecosystem that isn't IOS or Android. China is conditioned to operate in a totally different way than the rest of the world. 

I'm probably one of the few who frankly will simply go to an operating system of my own choosing but that's not the run of the mill customer. 

ravedave2
I'm helpful level 3
I'm helpful level 3

the ban does not apply to already released phones - it does not affect the p30... 

also there has already been a 3 months extension already until august till a deal can be worked out between the US and Huawei

Proac
I'm qualified level 1
I'm qualified level 1

Of course it affects the P30. It affects every Huawei smartphone. This 3 month extension won't mean a hill of beans when Android Q drops and Huawei is no longer licensed to use Google services like Maps, or YouTube or the entire Play Store. Does anyone want to end up like the Chinese with their own limited ecosystem?

Sure you can probably still stick with Android 9 and no updates but will anyone really pay $1100 for a phone and be hamstrung by the OS?

I'm one of the morons who'd gladly take a P30 Pro, unlock the bootloader and run a custom ROM but I'm sure I'm in the minority. Given the hoopla I promise you my P20 Pro is worth considerably less after this announcement.