cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Switch to iphone 4?

jillg
I'm a participant level 2

Before I call Fido and get laughed at, I thought I would look here for some opinions.

I signed a 2-year contract with Fido in Oct 2010 for an LG gossip. I don't really like the phone, plus I have a new job now and  can afford an iPhone--and I really want one!

So, if I called Fido, is switching my contract or signing a new one even an option only 6 months into my current one? If I told them I am unhappy with the LG Gossip? What if I purchased my own iPhone and brought it in?

(I know paying the cancellation fees or transferring the contract are likely my only real options here... but if anyone has experience with this please let me know!)

Thanks!

***Edited to add labels***

3 REPLIES 3

10yearfido
I'm an expert level 2
I'm an expert level 2

You don't have to cancel anything. You aren't eligible for a subsidized phone from Fido at the moment, but you if you could bring your own iPhone, which you can. So long as you buy an iPhone that is unlocked or locked to the Fido network, then you can use it with your current Fido account. If you do want to buy it subsidized from Fido, then you will have to terminate your existing contract and pay the ECF/DECF, but by time you do that, you will have paid as much as the subsidy anyway and would extend your contract by starting a new one for the iPhone. My advice, if you can afford it, would be to buy an iPhone on your own and then just put your current SIM in the iPhone. If it is an iPhone 4 that you buy, then you can go to a Fido store and buy a microSIM and have then transfer your number to that and then insert it in your iPhone.

jillg

Thank you so much! That helps a lot.

So, is it really as simple as buying an iPhone 3 (which accepts the regular sim cards I hink) and putting my current sim card in?

10yearfido
I'm an expert level 2
I'm an expert level 2
iPhone 3G or 3GS use regular SIM.