cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Network issues with Blackberry Key2

swampcritter
I'm a contributor level 1

Today I suddenly lost access to the Fido cellular network. My Blackberry Key2 tells me it's registered on the Fido network. and the word "Fido" appears in the upper left-hand corner of my screens. Yet if I go out of range of my wifi, or turn on airplane mode, I cannot use any app requiring a connection. I'm told that I have no wifi connection and no network carrier access. 

I have tried reconfiguring the Access Point Names in several different ways, according to the instructions on https://apn-canada.gishan.net/en/apn/fido/blackberry-key2  All to no avail. Any help would be appreciated. 

4 REPLIES 4

Hey @swampcritter thanks for letting us know. Hope everything keeps working fine for you. 👍🏻 

Good morning @swampcritter , sorry you're having trouble connecting to the network. I'm  going to suggest some things that you may have already tried and already know. Just to be clear, when you put your BB into airplane mode, you turn your wifi on manually to connect to a wifi network? If wifi is turned on and there is an available wifi access, your device should connect to the one you select. If you go out of range of wifi, and you have airplane mode turned on, you would be unable to connect to the cellular network, as airplane mode turns that off. So, if you are in range of the fido network and you turn off airplane mode, are you saying that your device will not connect at all to fido? I hope I'm asking this correctly. If that isn't the issue, did you try removing your Sim card and restarting your without the Sim card in, then powering off again and reinstall the Sim card and then restart? I have the keyOne and that works for me if I have a connection issue. I also put another carrier Sim in and start it up to change settings then remove and do the process above. Let me know if any of that works or not and I'll ask some of my old blackberry friends. 

swampcritter

Today my cell connection started working again, using the same default APN settings that did not work yesterday. Why they did not work yesterday, and why they work today, are questions for which I have no answers. That's fine, as long as I continue to have a cell connection.

swampcritter

Good morning! Thanks for your reply. Essentially I have internet access ONLY through wifi. If I am out of range of wifi, and I try to connect to the internet, I get messages like "no network carrier access," "no internet connection," and "no network available," Moreover when I go into "Network settings" and choose a network manually, I see "Fido (current) 4G" as the first option. When I select this option, it confirms that I'm "registered on the network" and the word "Fido" appears in the upper left-hand corner of every screen. Yet all my apps say no netrwork is available. 

I've tried removing and replacing the sim card, to no effect. As I mentioned, I've also tried reconfiguring the APNs several different ways, also to no effect. I've been wondering if possibly Fido is ending support for Android 8.1 devices.