Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Huawei P20 Pro Android Pie update cause GPS issues

simonxcheng
I'm a contributor level 2

Hi guys, 

I have updated my Huawei P20 Pro to EMUI 9,0.0.178. After the update, GPS is not working properly. After reboot, the GPS is fine, but once I stopped navigation and start a new navigation, it keeps "Looking for GPS ...". I have tried GPS test app, it just could not get GPS fix. Whenever I need to navigate, I have to reboot the phone. I am wondering anyone is facing the same issue. I have wipe the cache partition but it did not help. I do not really want to do a factory reset. However, it seems that is the last resort I have. 

Thanks,

Screenshot_20190201_090932_com.google.android.apps.maps.jpgScreenshot_20190201_231750_com.chartcross.gpstest.jpg

67 REPLIES 67

Amberpie
I'm a participant level 2
I'm a participant level 2

Can we have an idea when the fix will be coming? It's been weeks since I first began reporting issues to Fido and they just get me to reboot and have never told me that there was any communication with Huawei from your side. I need my GPS for work. This had been extremely frustrating and inconvenient. 

Vincentyee
I'm a participant level 3

Just downgrade your system back to 8.1, there's nothing else we can do but to wait atm

My problem still exists every 24 hours, even though I originally thought it was permanently fixed.  Can't wait for the fix since rebooting phone every time I want to use GPS gets old.

simonxcheng

I will reset to Android 8 because I have to reboot everyday to get the GPS fixed.

FidoStephen
Community Manager (Retired)

Hi everyone,

The February SMR along with a fix for this GPS issue will begin rolling out March 21. 

Thanks to everyone who reported this!

Benmassaoud

Hi all, try this

Go to Settings-> Security & privacy-> Location access-> scroll down to Google location accuracy and disable it

Go back to location access -> adavanced settings-> disable Wifi scanning.

It works for me since 2 days.

It's a global issue with android 9.0

Hope it's the final solition

Benmassaoud

Since I tried this solution, the GPS works like a charm since i tried this solution 6 days ago, the gps works like a charm.

rakmoh1

@Benmassaoud your solution didn't work for me.

Vincentyee

For those of you who still have GPS issue, just downgrade it back to 8.1 with Hisuite, I can confirm it works and it is really easy to do

rakmoh1

@Vincentyee : were you able to restore your data from the backup after downgrade to 8.1? Thanks.

Vincentyee

Yes, just back up on Hisuite before you downgrade 

FidoStephen

Hey everyone,

Huawei is working on a fix for this. I don't have a date as to when the update will become available, but I wanted to share what I know so far. I'll update this thread the moment I know more.

badsignal
I'm a participant level 1

I have same problem now, need reboot to get it work every time,GPS fix apps not work.

Serhio

I had same issue with GPS not working after EMUI9 update. Since then I did a lot of troubleshooting.

- reinstalling from scratch 

- reset cache etc. 

nothing worked, restart helps until next time I need to use GPS and I have to restart again. Even though it worked for time being after restart, GPS accuracy was very low. 

i tried to rollback to previous version 8.1 and  GPS functionality is back to normal. Once update applied it worked for about 8 hours and then stopped again.

My email to Huawei didn’t bring much info. 

So i rolled back again to EMUI 8.1 and GPS works as suppose to. I’ll wait until it is resolved. Obviously it is some nasty bug in EMUI 9

arlenn

I reverted as well.  I am please there has been some success with it.

Super pleased Huawei offers to a tool to revert, also disappointed such a flawed update made it into the wild.  There seems to be a lot of GPS issues with Pie, checking on other forums.

Vincentyee

Thx for the update, sent mine for fixing, problem still exits after that, i guess ill just roll back to 8.1

Arbing

Same issue here, nothing seems to work for me. This issue has been quite a while already and it hasn't been fixed yet, it'll be nice to know when and what should we expect the fix to happen.

rakmoh1

I have exactly the same issue after the update. I don't want to do a factory reset. Any other option?

simonxcheng

Maybe you can try to backup your phone with Huawei backup app through HiSense or on a micro SD card. Then reset your phone and restore your phone from backup. However, I am not sure if you can fix the issue by this way,

Knock on wood but things started to work on its own without a need to restart my phone in 6 days. Hopefully this is permanently

Thanks for your contribution @simonxcheng

Hey @Gabbie1977

Glad to hear that it's working for you! Thanks for keeping us posted🙂