cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Google Pixel 7.1.2 OTA

siamak__
I'm a contributor level 2

Has anyone received the Android 7.1.2 OTA on their Pixel/XL device?

**Edited to add labels**

121 REPLIES 121

juju86
I'm a participant level 3

You guys are not taking this seriously at all.  Otherwise, you would have allocated the resources to have this fixed rapidly from the get-go, which hasn't been the case.  The issue of timely updates has been on-going for months now, and this latest calamity has lasted 2 weeks (so far), so this begs the question: why do you care so little about us?

dan6
Needs to be a Rogers sim card.

Crich96
I'm a participant level 2
I'm a participant level 2
Does the small pixel get a different build number than the pixel XL? I'm thinking of trying to switch sim cards with my sister to see if it updates, but she has the 5" pixel I have the XL. Does this matter?

Jayred
I tried a Bell and Telus SIM card too. Still no updates, could try a Rogers SIM but pretty sure it's not going to resolve the issue.

Jayred

Add me to the list of Fido Pixel users who paid $1000 for a phone and have been waiting for months and still stuck on 7.1.1 and Feb 5th security patch. To add to my mysery, I have the abrupt battery drain issue where my phone can die at any given time below 55% percent battery. Google saying fix for the problem is 7.1.2 OS but if I try to sideload, my warranty would be void.

I can't spend weeks without my phone while you send it back to google and get this repaired/replacement. Been with Fido 9 years but I think this is enough. Better switch carriers than waiting for you to "look into the issue" when all Fido users with the build NOF26W have the same issue sitting on February updates.

Pathetic and Pointless..

dunlopkr
I'm a contributor level 1

Like alot of you, my Pixel has been stuck on version 7.1.1 (Build NOF26W) with sercurity patch level of Feb 5, 2017.  On a hunch, I tried a Rogers SIM card from my work phone and immediately got all the OTA updates so my phone is now running version 7.1.2 (Build N2G47O) sercurity patch level May 5, 2017. My wife used a Bell SIM from a friends phone and also got all the updates.  I don't think it is a problem that requires the phone to be replaced under warranty.  Fido and Google need to work together to figure this out, as most people will not have the abitlity to use a SIM from another Provider.  I have an open case with Google that has been escilated to a tier 3 support technician.  I will keep the case open and report back here.

ant1
The issue with sideloading is if something happens to go wrong we are potentially without recourse.
I've tried putting in my daughter's Public Mobile SIM and no luck. Still says I'm up to date.

dunlopkr

I got an email from Google's Advanced Hardware Support Team. Here is what it said:

The Pixel devices come with 2 boot slots, boot A and boot B. In order to provide the seamless update on the user end the OTA is supposed to install on the second boot slot. For example, let's say you're currently on the boot A slot, when you install the OTA, this will be installed on the boot B slot. What is going on with your device is that when it's trying to install the update it errors out, and is unable to grab the correct update for the appropriate boot slot. The only way to fix this specific issue would be to flash the OS image onto your Pixel device instead.

We have more advanced troubleshooting options that we can offer to help you get this issue resolved. One option would be to side load the latest Android OS to your phone. This step is a bit more advanced than our standard troubleshooting. The benefit of Side loading is that it won't wipe your data, and gets you on the latest version. The other option would be to flash the OS. Flashing a new system image is similar to performing a factory data reset; all data will be erased from the device. While any data stored in your Google Account can be restored, all apps, photos, and their associated data will be uninstalled or deleted. The benefit of Flashing is that it provides a clean installation of the latest stock image bringing it to it's "vanilla" state. 

If you’d like to proceed with re-installing Android, let me know whether you’ll be using a Windows, Linux or Mac computer, as well as the version of Windows, Linux, or OSX your computer has. I’d be happy to work with you during this process, so if any step is confusing, feel free to reach out to me by replying to this email.

I have replied and state that a SIM from another provider let me install updates.  I let them know that side loading Android every month or borrowing another provider's SIM card was not an acceptable solution and have ask them to look into the issue further.  I will post here again if there is any update.

ant1

Thanks for the info, we are back to the same situation. Side loading or a complete flash. I'm willing to do this as long as if something goes wrong I'm not left holding a brick. Hello Fido? Seems we are all getting solutions but you?  What's the way forward for us?

ps. So far you seem to be the only one who's gotten updated by switching sims. 

dunlopkr

When others have tried SIM cards form another provider, did the SIM cards have active plans?  I did try a US pay as you go SIM that was not active and was not able to get updates.

Jayred

I tried an active Bell simcard but was not able to see any updates. Tried restarting the phone, enabled auto updates and played around with the phone for around 10 mins.. Not sure how it worked for you 😕

dunlopkr

It worked for me on Rogers.  My wife said she tried Bell but I cannot verify it was actually Bell.  Her friends SIM could have actually been Rogers.  The Rogers SIM I used did not have any identifying marks on it like my Fido one does.

Hey Guys! 

I wanted to let you guys know that we're hearing you and we understand your frustration here.

This is being actively investigated and we hope to have some news for you really soon!

wren
I followed the instructions here and now have the 7.1.2 update with May security patch. Installed Android studio on my laptop and sideloaded N2G47O file to my Pixel. Done.

wren
Sorry here is the link to the OTA sideload page from Google's Android developer site.

https://developers.google.com/android/ota

dunlopkr

The tech from Google's Advanced Hardware Support Team wants me to try to update over WiFi with NO SIM installed.  As my phone now has all the updates can somebody else give this a try so I can get back to them?

simszero

I have tried multiple times on several different days (including right now)

No luck updating it without a SIM on wifi.

@dunlopkr and @simszero thanks for flagging this. We're still looking into this issue and we will update the tread once we have more information. 

ant1

Got tired of the same old song.

I manually updated like several others have and am now up to date.

Good luck to the non tech savvy...

Thanks for nothing Fido.

dan6
I tried using a rogers sim card and it DOES fix the problem. I'm finally on 7.1.2

I had to click manual update two times before the update would show.

Andro

Hi again, 

You have here the solution: 

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bz6x7k-VkpUJMlZ1aEliVnhMOHM/view

You must to choose NOF27C version and after the reboot you will have a notification to update to 7.1.2 (N2G47E). 

Please read the messages from 6th page on this forum, you have already the answer. I tried like another users and it's ok now. Happy