Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GPS Flip Phone on Fido Network?

KTQ
I'm a participant level 1
I'm a participant level 1

Hi Fido Community!

I want to curb my smartphone  addiction by switching to a « dumb phone » that will allow me to talk, text and have a very reliable (up to date) GPS for driving (preferably Google Maps if possible!) 

Does this sort of device already exist?

I don’t want to be able to download apps. Checking email would be fine but is not necessary.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

1 REPLY 1

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello KTQ,

Welcome to the community!

@KTQ wrote:...Does this sort of device already exist?..

Well, there certainly still flip phones available (I miss my flip phone 🙁), most of which have GPS. In fact, Fido offers the Alcatel Go Flip. You can view here for some other options. Since that article seems to be US-based, you'll have to make sure the phone is compatible with the networks. You can verify the compatible bands/frequencies here

However, I'm not sure how up-to-date their GPS navigation would be. Most flip phones would not use Google Maps as that would require the ability to download and run the app.

**edit** If up-to-date navigation is important, you might consider getting an older smartphone and dumbing it down. Only install Google Maps and restrict the download of any other apps. Just a thought...**

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers