cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fido Home phone VS Condo Buzzer compatible???

Syn010
I'm a participant level 3

Had enough of Bell and interested in changing to Home phone. One huge hang up is trying to find out if the condo buzzer will work with Home phone.

Fido website says, "The Home Phone service is compatible with most condo and building buzzer systems but there are some exceptions in buildings will older buzzer technology." I called fido support and was told home phone will not work with any condo buzzers even after I quoted him the fido website.

Is there any way to test the fido phone device without dropping bell first, because dropping Bell to find out fido home phone condo buzzer won't work will be a headache. I'd have to then call bell and ask for the service I just cancelled.

My condo buzzer work by person downstairs dialing an entry condo and then landline phone rings and we can talk to person and dial 9 to let person in. Seems like a modern system.

***Edited to add labels***

6 REPLIES 6

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Syn010 There are 2 types of door intercom/buzzers, The first kind is where the actual bell wire in your appartment unit is interconnected with the apartment buzzer panel in the front. so if someone buzzes you, you need to have a landline phone connected physically to the inside jacks, even if you dont have bell service on those jacks. this is method #1 More and more newer condos use a different type of buzzer, its an auto dialer buzzer, you must give your telephone number to your super indendant and when someone buzzes you, the buzzer will place an actual phone call to your home number or which ever number you gave your super indendant. so if you have this type, it will just appear as an incoming call on the fido home phone device and you answer it. you need to make sure which kind you have so ask your super indendant, and dont rely on the answers you get from customer service personal, i find most of them are clueless, they dont "understand" how cellular or phone lines work, they just do this job for the pay check every week, where as professionals like myself who actually worked on phones and telecommunications my hole life, understand how things work and can give you a better and correct answer.

Syn010

Thanks for the detailed info.I'll go down on monday to condo management office to find out about our buzzer system.

sbuster

I'm curious as to whether the home phone was compatible, or not, with the buzzer technology in your building. I have a similar building set-up and want to know whether the Fido home phone system works before switching over.  

Crockett

If I understood Paolo's answer correctly, a buzzer system will work in one of two ways:

1) If the building manager requires a phone number from you for setup, then their system would be compatible and you will receive a phone call on whatever phone number you provided (Fido home phone, any cell phone, any regular landline, or any VoIP service).

2) If the building manager does not require a phone number from you then this means the buzzer system is directly linked to the jacks in the building and will direct the buzzer-call to your apartment rather than an actual telephone number. To receive the buzzer-call you would need a regular home phone handset connected to the jack but would not need to have an actual landline subscription (ie: you would not be able to receive or make phone calls from that phone. It would be for buzzer use only).

Any techs out there that can confirm this?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Crockett wrote:

If I understood Paolo's answer correctly, a buzzer system will work in one of two ways:

1) If the building manager requires a phone number from you for setup, then their system would be compatible and you will receive a phone call on whatever phone number you provided (Fido home phone, any cell phone, any regular landline, or any VoIP service).

2) If the building manager does not require a phone number from you then this means the buzzer system is directly linked to the jacks in the building and will direct the buzzer-call to your apartment rather than an actual telephone number. To receive the buzzer-call you would need a regular home phone handset connected to the jack but would not need to have an actual landline subscription (ie: you would not be able to receive or make phone calls from that phone. It would be for buzzer use only).

Any techs out there that can confirm this?

Yes I believe that sounds about right.  Just give your super intendant the fido wireless home phone #, and ask them to setup your buzzer with it, if they do not support it, inquire within to see which buzzer type they actually support, because you may need to buy an unused landline handset to plug into one of your jacks

@community Anyone have any suggestions?