Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I unlock iPhone 4s from abroad???

karena
I'm a participant level 2

Hi,

I recently purchased an iPhone 4s on eBay, locked to Fido. I am a Fido customer and have an account in good standing. The phone is no longer under contract and I confirmed I could get it unlocked by Fido.

However, I live in the UK at the moment and will only be back home at the end of the year. I bought the phone in Canada and received it late - the day I was leaving the country - and didn't take the time to call Fido about unlocking it, thinking it would probably be only a code to put in the phone and that it could easily be done from abroad.

In fact, I even read somewhere that it was done through iTunes... ?

When I called customer service, they said it could only be done while I'm in Canada. Is that right?

I am now stuck with a Fido phone abroad and I need to use it with my UK sim while I am here! I've tried a Gevey in the meantime, but that didn't work as apparently my Fido SIM is too "old" according to their tech support (3 years old) so I'd have to buy another SIM... but, same problem, I'm in the UK now and can't really buy one!

Does anyone have any experience with unlocking a Fido from abroad?

Thanks!

***Edited to add labels***

2 REPLIES 2

FidoStephen
Community Manager (Retired)
Community Manager (Retired)

@karena wrote:

Hi,

I recently purchased an iPhone 4s on eBay, locked to Fido. I am a Fido customer and have an account in good standing. The phone is no longer under contract and I confirmed I could get it unlocked by Fido.

However, I live in the UK at the moment and will only be back home at the end of the year. I bought the phone in Canada and received it late - the day I was leaving the country - and didn't take the time to call Fido about unlocking it, thinking it would probably be only a code to put in the phone and that it could easily be done from abroad.

In fact, I even read somewhere that it was done through iTunes... ?

When I called customer service, they said it could only be done while I'm in Canada. Is that right?

I am now stuck with a Fido phone abroad and I need to use it with my UK sim while I am here! I've tried a Gevey in the meantime, but that didn't work as apparently my Fido SIM is too "old" according to their tech support (3 years old) so I'd have to buy another SIM... but, same problem, I'm in the UK now and can't really buy one!

Does anyone have any experience with unlocking a Fido from abroad?

Thanks!

Hi karena,

Sorry for the delay in responding to your post.

I'm not sure why you were told that it can only be done while you're in Canada. As long as you have an active monthly account in good standing and the phone has been registered in your account for at least 90 days, we can unlock it for you for $50. If you have a prepaid account, you would need to have a balance to cover the fee ($50 + tax). 

You can contact us through one of these channels to get it done. Smiley

Let me know if you have any questions. 

karena
Thanks!