cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bold 9650 Unlocked

Bouncerella11
I'm a contributor level 2

Hi there, I originally purchased a 8520 curve with fido, after a year and it being sent away to get fixed already once, it sorta bit the dust and so I had no choice but to purchase another unlocked phone to use. I purchased a Bold 9650 that was originally with verizon. It works great, no glitches, but I have been having one consistent issue. My network drops every once in a while. I dont know if its because FIDO has been ahving network problems, once or twice I called they said they were, so I am assuming thats why I was having issues. But every once in awhile, My phone will drop its signal, be searching, the EDGE will look like 'edge' and i will have half a bar at best. This lasts hours. and at the top of my phone it reads 'Rogers Wireless' not 'Fido'

The times this has happened, fido has stated when I call that they are having network problems. but this doesnt seem normal to me. I live in one end of the city and work in the other, and sometimes this happens when I travel from one end to the other.

The phone I purchased is supposed to be a 3G phone, but I cannot get a 3G connection. I hardly get 2G half the time because my signal is so weak.

Any thoughts on this? Is it because my phone is unlocked? I have had my phone checked out and no issues.

8 REPLIES 8

FidoJudhy
Former Moderator
Former Moderator
Hello Bouncerella11!

I'd like to help.

Have you tried to remove your battery and SIM for a few minutes and put everything back in place? Did you do a manual network selection or an automatic one? Also, is your phone set up on both 3G and 2G, 3G only or 2G only? Have you tried your SIM in another phone to see if the phone was the issue or if it was the service?

Once we have the answers to those questions, the Community and I will be able to further assist you.

Let us know! Smiley

Bouncerella11

Hi there,

so Yes I have turned the phone off, taken the battery and sim out waiting a few minutes then turned back on.. I have done this several times. Also my connections is set to 2G" only, as I was told this would be best, so the phone isnt trying to search for a 3G network that isnt there. when i set to 3G only, it goes to no signal, SOS only.

I have tried to manually select a network as well.... same thing, only one availble is Rogers Wireless 2G

My SIM was in my old phone, curve 8520, and it used to change from fido to rogers too with a semi weak signal at points, and that phone was not 3G.

I have researched the BB Bold 9650, and it is advertised as 3G.

hope this answers all questions

Bouncerella11

does the fact that i cant get a 3G connection have anything to do with my SIM?

Anonymous
Not applicable

your BB Bold 9650 does not support the 3G frequencies that is used in Canada.  It Does very well have a 3G radio in it, but its ment for a different frequency not used in this part of the world.

sorry.  Your 2G works just fine though cus the 2G band on your phone is used by rogers and fido.  hope this helps

Hey everyone,

Thank you Paolo for helping! Highly appreciated Smiley

Bouncerella11

Hey Paolo

Thanks for the info. Thats annoying, but I guess I just didnt know.

My 2G works great in some parts of the city, but others...not so much. I live in Hamilton, but when I work in Stoney creek, which is the east end of the city, about 20 minutes from my home.... its horrible reception.

do signal boost strips you can buy online work? should i use this as a quick fix?

It seems my phone looses reception and drops signal whenever I go anywhere. I was in Oakville last night and it said searching for GSM..... I feel like I never have a decent signal and I am loosing patience and I havent a clue what to do.

Like Paolo said, if my 2G works, thats fine... but it doesnt half the time. I dont know how to fix this issue Sad

I cant travel to burlington, stoney creek, oakville, caledonia..... no where that is near me without loosing signal and having my phone searching for a signal constantly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

you might have a faulty radio in your phone, since you never bought it from fido, you will have to deal with the manufacturer. Depending on what part of the world it was sold in, it may not be serviceable in this country, thats just a precaution, and i said MAY not

Bouncerella11
Hi there,

i have considered that and looked into it. there is a local place that fixes out of warranty blackberrys, but i am afraid of spending 50 bucks to get it replaced to have that not be the problem LOL