arnoldmp
I'm a participant level 1
I'm a participant level 1

Will this be supported?

47 REPLIES 47

brandoc
I'm a contributor level 2

i haven't tried this (yet) but with ios 14, apple launched a new thing that allows you to use a different carrier (any carrier you want, from my understanding) on the watch, even if the carrier you have on the iphone doesn't support apple watch. the caveat: you can't use the same apple ID on both devices. 

i may try this at some point. it's obviously much easier to do this if you have a close family member who has an iphone, although it should theoretically be possible for one person with one iphone and one cell watch to attempt this but again, you'll need two apple IDs

JCTcom1
I'm a contributor level 1

You will also end up with 2 phone numbers.  My current Watch shares the Phone number with my iPhone so I truly don't need to have the iPhone with me when I am running out for a bit.

Proac
I'm qualified level 1
I'm qualified level 1

Let us know if you find a way to pull this off. The CRTC really ought to be coming down on these carriers. Can't have access to certain technology unless you pick a specific carrier? Real free market economy we've got here in the People’s Republic of Canada.

brandoc

80% of the problem here is Apple actually. they created the watch's eSIM in such a way that only "apple approved carriers" (read: carriers that agreed to pay apple a commission fee on each new activation) can be downloaded by the user onto their own watch.

it's similar to carrier locking which is no longer legal in this country except in this case it's manufacturer locking.

JCTcom1

Riiiggght.  And yet they allow Freedom Mobile to support them?  Not sure where you are getting this from.  It is Rogers that doesn't want the competition from their Flanker brand.  not Apple.

amineati

And a different phone number ....