cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Android P for Huawei p20 pro

Proac
I'm qualified level 1
I'm qualified level 1

Global rollout began a few days ago and Fido lists Dec 19th as the rollout date but still no OTA update on my P20 Pro. Has anyone actually received the update yet? I'm getting impatient

Thanks Mike 

134 REPLIES 134

Proac
I'm qualified level 1
I'm qualified level 1

I don't think politics is the reason for this problem. I'm all about conspiracies but I can't see Huawei purposely alienating their current customers at the expense of future sales. 

spoymenov
I'm a participant level 2
I'm a participant level 2

Just spoke to Fido and they said if by end day today no update call huawei. We'll I didn't want to wait so I called huawei.  Rep from there said update is rolling out for Fido from the 15th to the 30th if nothing by end of the month then call them again. 

ryadav
I'm a contributor level 3

So fido doesn't know and huawei is fooling us

FidoStephen
Community Manager (Retired)

Hey everyone,

Just heard back from Huawei after reading all of your recent posts. It would seem that there were a few details missing in the information they provided us last week.

For the P20, they are continuing the rollout from SW version B113 (pre P-OS) to B159 (P-OS), and it should be fully rolled out on Feb 2nd.

For the P20 Pro, it gets a bit more complicated because they are now releasing the latest update which includes the January security update (version B178):

• The rollout for those still on (pre P-OS version) B120, going to B178, will begin today, and be fully rolled out on Feb 12th.
  • The rollout for those already on (P-OS version) B160, going to B178, will begin today, and be fully rolled out on Jan 28th.

Let's all (continue to) keep our fingers crossed! I'll update you if I hear anything else.

ryadav

This is not transparent approach. Unless we say Huawei doesn't reveal. Hiding info. Very bad approach. No update yet and extremely upset with this new staged.

First almost no one got any update and this chinese will say now feb smr so march roll out

ryadav

19th JAN still no update

To approve a single suggestion, mouse over it and click "✔"
Click the bubble to approve all of its suggestions.

Proac
I'm qualified level 1
I'm qualified level 1

This isn't unique to Huawei.Except for Apple and Google who obviously control the entire OS process, every other Android manufacturer rolls out the update. 1% for the first day, then if no known issues the next 25%..50-75% and within a couple of weeks it's 100%. No manufacturer wants to find out there's a bug with every device already updated. 

@Proac Google actually does the roll out the same way 1% in the first 24-48hrs, reddit user jaykresge did a good write up of it here with sources. 

@FidoStephen C'omon I expected better from you bud.

FidoStephen

@KAPABLE-K Maybe I'm just lucky and always in the 1% Unsure

ryadav

This is insane because FIDO OS upgrade does tons of testing on their end before OKing to manufacturer ..while client base is very device specific (that's very true because devices differ due to many reasons) the rollout should be not 1%, it should be full 100%.

This is idiotic of the manufacturer that they release devices following numerous Q standards and cant release software in one shot.  Google makes software for the generic platform, so not all devices may work and their rollout model makes sense because they are dealing with billions of devices, not like a few 100 thousand devices.

Proac
I'm qualified level 1
I'm qualified level 1

What's even more troubling is the Mate 20 is already running EMUI 9 so Huawei knows its stable. They would never release a new flagship phone with a buggy OS so they know it works fine. Already the 17th and still no update here. My guess is I might see it in February because I can't believe anything Fido or Huawei tells me. 

Proac
I'm qualified level 1
I'm qualified level 1

@KAPABLE-K that article seems to imply if you remove your SIM and factory reset your phone you'll disassociate it from the carrier and be eligible for the update immediately..I'm very tempted to try this theory out  I don't buy it but I'm willing to give it a shot 

Mike 

It's actually true at least for Google phones, here is a snapshot of my Nexus 6P I got from Fido in 2016. I loaded a custom rom in December but did not put a SIM card in it as yet.

6p.png

@FidoStephen knock on wood Smiley

why1
I'm a contributor level 2
I'm a contributor level 2

That's good news. Thank you @FidoStephen.

ryadav

This is really a much-needed information

patrickchan
I'm experienced level 1
I'm experienced level 1

before you rush to install, backup all data on google cloud drive, plug power into phone, use wifi to download, install update. good luck.

Proac
I'm qualified level 1
I'm qualified level 1

It makes me feel better to whine every day the update hasn't arrived  Jan 4th now so more than 2 weeks since rollout and no update for my phone. I'm wearing out the check for update button to no avail. Come on Fido hurry up already. 

Mike 

Proac
I'm qualified level 1
I'm qualified level 1

Jan 5th now . Still no sign of Pie . Still not happy.. Another sad day in Huawei land . Grrrrrrr

Proac
I'm qualified level 1
I'm qualified level 1

Almost Jan 8th now.. Still no update.. Maybe I'm just unlucky 

ryadav

Fido plays a lottery game and whoseever number comes in lucky draw, they press a button called update... thats what I think the staggered rollout means. Its literally a joke now when you have to wait over 25 days to get an update...

very bad experience, and probably done intentionally to promote apple and google devices

@Proac wrote:

@Proac wrote: