cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

does fido unlock iphones?

Tidusraven
I'm a participant level 1
I'm a participant level 1

just curious do they unlock iphones? if so ima call in tomorrow and demand i get a free unlock or im changing companies.... been with them for a while and im not on any contracts, least they can do is unlock my phone so i can use it

***Edited to add labels***

4 REPLIES 4

Tru
Fido Employee
Fido Employee

Hey everyone!

Although this thread is quite old, I'd like to add a little update since I came across it. What 10yearfido said about the 50$ fee is accurate, but the policy about unlocking delay has changed since then.

First of all, the account on which the unlocking will be done MUST be in good standing.

-For a phone bought with an agreement: there is a 90 days delay to be able to unlock it.

-For a phone bought full price: you can unlock the phone right away.

-Phone purchased outside of an authorized Fido sales channel: the device IMEI must be listed in your equipment history for at least 90 days. (So the phone must have been used with your Fido number for at least 90 days)

Oh! And of course, the phone must be locked with fido Wink

I hope this helps!

10yearfido
I'm an expert level 2
I'm an expert level 2
I see now you said you aren't on contract. If you bought your phone from them at full price or bought on subsidy and completed the contract, then call them. Should be eligible for the $50 unlock.

tccris
I'm a contributor level 2
I'm a contributor level 2

if the phone is worthing $50...veeeery expensive....

10yearfido
I'm an expert level 2
I'm an expert level 2
They do offer unlocking for $50, but there are restriction on when they will do it. These restrictions are strictly enforced, even if you threaten to leave.
-account in good standing
-have paid full, unsubsidized price for the device or have completely fulfilled the contract under which the subsided device was purchased.
-some other rules I can't remember

If you bought your phone with a discount and your contract isn't complete they will not unlock it, period.