cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unethical roaming charges

CS1000
I'm a participant level 3

Traveling on Canada and USA westcoast time zone. Welcomed across the border by a text from FIDO saying use your data roaming just as if you are at home for $12 a day. Great i think, knowing i will have $24 additional charge on my bill as i only use my phone on two separate days when traveling. I take my SIM card out beofre midnight (westcoast time) after arriving at my destination on day one of travel. Put my SIM card back in my phone on day of return travel (day 2 / still on westcoast time) and arrive home before midnight. I have been charged 4 days of roaming because the rolling over into another day is based on east coast time zone. This is outrageous and unfair. I question Rogers/Fido business ethics and am looking for another service provider. Chatting with someone on the website this morning was challenging. Almost an hour chatting without resolve. They do not care about loylaty to their customers or listen to our concerns. I have been with Fido since their beginning, (a very long time) and not once missed a bill payment. No loyalty here at all, very dissapointing. 

2 REPLIES 2

Hello @CS1000 , I know it's upsetting to have unexpected charges on our phone bill. I understand the confusion around the billing cycle and I do recommend familiarizing yourself with any extra service when you are deciding to access it. I had the same experience years ago and realized because I travel a lot, I should have a local Sim for my destination. It's saved funds and headaches with sometimes turning my device on by accident. Having said all that, I do understand the frustration and I am posting the link to understand the roaming agreement and what to expect. Here you go and I hope it helps for future travel. 

CS1000

Hi Original Lucy, Thank you for your reply.  I use a SIM card in another location from that country i am traveling to. I am aware of the FIDO roaming charges of $12 a day and prepared to pay that on my initial and last day of travel to and from home. My complaint is with FIDOS roaming charges being based on Canada's Eastern time zone when i was traveling on the Westcoast only. This is unethical and needs to be challenged by more people.