cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sim

emag
I'm a contributor level 1

I have an unlocked iPhone, I want to purchase an international sim. If I have a vpn on the sim and have my calls forewarded to it when I'm travelling, are the calls free? 

What about texts, the same?

13 REPLIES 13

FidoRanya
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hey @emag

Thanks for reaching out, we're here to help! 

Before we can help you further, we'd need a clarification. Do you want to have your Fido calls forwarded to that international number ? 

emag

Yes I do. 

emag

It will be a Canadian number added to the sim. 

FidoRanya
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Thanks for clarifying Smiley @emag .

If you have a voicemail, call Forwarding won’t be charged roaming because the call is forwarded before it reaches your phone. 

If you don't have a voicemail, call Forwarding is billed regular roaming charges. Since you’re not roaming on our network, we can’t predict the type of charge you’ll get as this depends on how the carrier you’re roaming on has set up this feature on their network (e.g. even if you have Fido Roam, you might get charged pay-per-use airtime and long-distance fees etc.). 

In both cases, long-distance charges could apply as well, depending on your plan and where the call is being forwarded to. Long distance fees apply if calls are forwarded to a number outside of your local calling area.

More info here

emag

Ranya, 

I basically have unlimited everything but data on my plan, cross Canada long distance, call forewarding included, so if I have a second Canadian number, why would there be charges when my calls are being forewarded to another Canadian number which would virtually be in my calling area?

emag

FidoRanya
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

In this case @emag , since Canada-Wide long distance is included in your plan, there will be no additional long distance charges Smiley .

emag

That sounds good 👍🏻.

How would the same senerio effect texting?

emag

Sorry, texting is data so it wouldn't apply, right?

emag

And if I have unlimited texts there would be no additional cost?

FidoRanya
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

I'm not sure what you mean by no additional cost, do you mean after setting up Extreme text messaging to forward the messages to another number ? 

Then yes in this case there would be no additional cost. 

emag

That is what I meant Ranya thank you. I believe you have answered my original query. 

emag

FidoRanya
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Texting isn't data , it's only considered data when you are using iMessage @emag .

- Ranya

FidoRanya
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

To forward your text messages, you would need to use Extreme test messaging .

More info here