Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Poor cell reception and internet

Oumaimak
I'm a participant level 2

1000037534.png

How is it possible that this is the speed in 2024 in Canada on a 5G phone? I'm trying to call customer support but the line keeps cutting or unexpectedly hanging up. I wish I could afford to break my contract with fido. I will probably do it even if I can't afford it because living like this is hell.

2 REPLIES 2

Oumaimak

I forgot to mention that I live in Ottawa, Canada's capital and a fairly densely populated area. No excuse for this poor service. 3rd world countries have much better network and speed even in remote areas. I can't believe this is a thing today in 2024. I'm speechless.

Hello Oumaimak,

Welcome to the community!

Sorry to hear you're having issues with your reception and data speeds. What signal is your device receiving? I understand you live in Ottawa. However, the nature of cellular service is that it is dependent on being able to receive adequate signal from the cellular towers. Adequate signal would depend, in part, on your location relative to the cellular towers. You can get an idea of your area cellular towers here. In addition to your proximity to the cellular towers, there are also many factors can affect cellular reception (see here and here). That's why no mobile provider can guarantee service. There are just too many factors beyond their control.

In addition, there are many factors which can affect data speeds. What phone are you using? Is it from Fido? I understand you noted breaking a contract, which would imply that you are financing a device. However, some people have mistakenly believed their services were under contract. I also understand your device may be 5G-compatible. However, Fido does not currently offer 5G services (see here).

If your device is not from Fido, have you verfied that it has all of the compatible bands/frequencies? You can verify the compatible bands/frequencies here. As well, the frequency at which your phone is connected could also have bearing on data speeds. The lower frequencies (ie 700MHz) can travel further and penetrate deeper than higher frequencies (ie 2600MHz) (see graphic here). However, the lower frequencies also have a narrower bandwidth resulting in possibly slower data speeds (see table here). 

You should note that this is forum is community-driven and not intended as a venue for customer services. I understand you have had difficulties contacting customer service. You might consider attempting other venues for contacting customer service. In addition, they can also be contacted via Facebook, or Twitter. Those methods can be accessed via the contact page posted above.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers