cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New unlocking policy?

FidoCustomer
I'm helpful level 1
I'm helpful level 1

I read today that some Fido CS reps are telling customers that Fido's unlocking policy now includes unlocking subsidized phones after 90 days? If so, that is a fantastic change. Can anyone confirm?

***Edited to add labels***

15 REPLIES 15

kakeroo
I'm a participant level 1

Regarding The Fido Unlocking Policy.

If i buy a subsidy phone under contract, Then i can understand a $50 fee to unlock the phone to be used for travel while the contract remains active.

However, If i finish paying for the phone and now fully own the phone, I think the unlocking fee should be severly reduced if not totally free.

When i own something, i own something. I don't pay anything after that.

Furthermore i don't believe a $50 fee is justifyable.

Remember when you could buy something then do with it as you see fit rather then have your device locked/destroyed by the company you bought it from if you decided to change anything ala xbox modifications?

I don't like being treated like cattle

zyx
I'm qualified level 2
I'm qualified level 2

Then don't use the carrier's subsidy and purchase your phone from the manufacturer.

Hey @Community 

I know it's an old thread.

Everything that you need to know about the unlocking policy is on our blog here.

Hope this helps Smiley

Tru
Fido Employee
Fido Employee

Hello everyone,
I just want to update all of you on our unlocking policy :
-If you got your phone with an agreement, you must wait 90 days to be able to unlock the phone.
-If you purchase the phone without an agreement from one of our store, the phone can be unlocked right away.
-If you bought the phone outside of an authorized Fido sales channel, you must be using the phone for at least 90 days to be able to unlock it.

And also keep in mind that there is a 50$ fee to do the unlocking and that we can only unlock phones that are locked to Fido.
I hope that this clarify everything for all of you.

FidoStephen
Community Manager (Retired)
Community Manager (Retired)

Hi FidoCustomer,

Sorry for the delay in responding to your post.

Any device purchased from Fido may be unlocked (subject to manufacturer restrictions and eligibility rules), with an administrative fee of $50 plus applicable taxes.

This service is available to monthly and prepaid customers who are not under an agreement.

In order to be eligible for the unlocking service;

• You must have an active account in good standing,
  • Your device must be registered in your Fido account,
  • Term/agreement associated with the device has been completed (if monthly account).

Devices purchased at full price (i.e. no contract/agreement) are eligible after 30 days from purchase date (maybe this is what you are referring to?).

Please note that unlocking a device may change the features on phone/device and affect its performance on the Rogers/Fido network;

• Performance may be affected and some settings may not work when using an unlocked device on another carrier’s network, as devices are optimized for use on the Rogers/Fido network.
  • Manufacturers’ warranties are not impacted. However, if a device is serviced under warranty, it is likely that the device will be returned to its locked state. You will be charged the unlocking fee again to unlock device.

I hope this helps!

bizon

Hi Stephen,

May I use my Fido Dollars to pay this administrative fee of $50 ?

The Fido reward dollars can be used towards a phone purchase or certain optional services for a one or two month trial period. They unfortunately cannot be used to pay administrative fees.

acker
I'm a participant level 2

Hi,

I just finished my 3 year iPhone contract with Fido and signed up for a new 3 year contract and a new iPhone. What is the process to get my old fido iPhone unlocked?

Thx

Markus

10yearfido
I'm an expert level 2
I'm an expert level 2

@acker wrote:

Hi,

I just finished my 3 year iPhone contract with Fido and signed up for a new 3 year contract and a new iPhone. What is the process to get my old fido iPhone unlocked?

Thx

Markus

Call 611 and request the unlock on your old phone. They will transfer you to the unlock dept. They will verify your eligibility , charge you $50 and unlock it for you while you are on the phone.

ChinaDoll13
I'm a participant level 3
I'm a participant level 3

I have an iPhone 3GS too.

the contract is almost over (in 3 months).

Can i call 611 to have the phone unlock now?  

BTW, if Fido unlock the phone, will it get re-locked when I upgrade the iOS in the future?

I am travelling and want to use my iphone overseas.

I want to wait for and upgrade to iphone 5 when it comes out.

10yearfido
I'm an expert level 2
I'm an expert level 2

@ChinaDoll13 wrote:

I have an iPhone 3GS too.

the contract is almost over (in 3 months).

Can i call 611 to have the phone unlock now?  

BTW, if Fido unlock the phone, will it get re-locked when I upgrade the iOS in the future?

I am travelling and want to use my iphone overseas.

I want to wait for and upgrade to iphone 5 when it comes out.

you wil have to wait until your contract is complete or you renew your contract with another phone before they will unlock it for your. It is a permament unlcok. No need to worry about OS updates.

acker

Hi,

I did but now they are claiming that I'm not eligible as I renewed my contract. What they are saying, which doesn't make much sense to me, is that I should have not renewed my contract, automatically switch into a month to month service and unlock it then. 

10yearfido
I'm an expert level 2
I'm an expert level 2

They are wrong. As soon as your old contract is satisfied, they will unlock, so it has nothing to do with going on month to month or not. However, Fido is unique in that they stack contracts, so even if you renew, if you old contract had any time left, then you need to wait for that to run out. With Rogers, they don't stack so as soon as you renew they consider the old contract to be satisfied and will unlock.

If your old contract was completed before you renewed or has since expired, call them back and tell them to look up the unlock policy in their IQ system. If they refuse then escalate because they are not following their own policy. There is still a lot of confusion internally about the policy.

Zank

Hi Stephen,

I had a follow-up to this post.

I bought an iphone on contract, about a month ago, and then had to unlock my phone as i had to travel. I was told I had to pay to get out of my contract, and then my phone could be unlocked. That was understandable, so I paid the contract cancellation fee, in fact the customer service rep said they had to immediately charge it. I said that was fine. Then after speaking with unlcok dept said they can't unlock my phone as it hasn't been the full 30 days since i bought my phone and am still in return period, and to call back in 4 days. 

I called back after 30 days were up, and was asked for my serial number. I was then told the serial number wasn't registered so they couldn't unlock. What had happened was when i bought my phone at apple store, signed contract, phone was opened, and the phone wasn't working properly. They then gave me a replacement phone. They gave me a piece of paper saying the oriignal serial number was returned and new one was given. Its in the records. I wasn't told to register it or anything.

So basically, now I am told that i cannot unlock the phone for yet another 30 days. This is no fault of my own that the first phone they gve me was defective. I previously had a 3gs, which was replaced, and I did not have to register, it was unlock by fido. So I am not sure what the policy is right now. Could something be done about this so I don't have to wait 30 days?

Thanks

FidoJudhy
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hello Zank,

This forum is dedicated to technical issues and your situation is in regards to unlocking your handset.

I would suggest that you contact our customer service to see if any exceptions can be made.

You can reach us at 611 from your Fido phone or 1-888-481-3436 from any other handset, option 2 for a representative.