cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Local Calling

chaosmage
I'm a contributor level 1

Is it possible to use my local calling minutes to talk from Waterloo to Toronto? Or do I have to get long distance minutes? Is the local calling region detemined by where the call is made from?

11 REPLIES 11

10yearfido
I'm an expert level 2
I'm an expert level 2

@chaosmage wrote:

Is it possible to use my local calling minutes to talk from Waterloo to Toronto? Or do I have to get long distance minutes? Is the local calling region detemined by where the call is made from?

Correct, long distance charges for outbound calls are determined by the Local Calling Area yuo are physically in. So if you are in Waterloo calls to Toronto will be long distance. Calls to Waterloo area will be local. If you drive into Toronto, then calls to Toronto numbers are local and calls back to Waterloo will be long distance.

Additionally, if you have a Waterloo number then all calls you receive while in Toronto would incur long distance charges for you.

chaosmage

Does Fido have any plans to supoort this situation?

10yearfido
I'm an expert level 2
I'm an expert level 2

@chaosmage wrote:

Does Fido have any plans to supoort this situation?

They already have a solution: $10/month for unlimited Canadian long distance. Note that this does not mean unlimited Canadian calling. The add-on simply prevents you from being charged the long distance portion of your calls (in or out) from anywhere in Canada (on the Rogers network) to anywhere Canada. Any airtime charges would still apply, for instance if you went over your daytime minutes as would out of zone fees if you are on a City Fido plan.

chaosmage

Ok this helps a lot. I was just wondering that if I went with someone else for long distance, would that cut into my airtime minutes?

10yearfido
I'm an expert level 2
I'm an expert level 2

@chaosmage wrote:

Ok this helps a lot. I was just wondering that if I went with someone else for long distance, would that cut into my airtime minutes?

If you used an alternative LD provider it would it only help you with the long distance charges for out bound calls. The calls would still use your bucket of airtime minutes and you would still be charged long distance by Fido for any calls you answer while outside of your local calling area.

chaosmage

So, would I have to change my Toronto number to a Waterloo number or can I keep my Toronto number as it is?

10yearfido
I'm an expert level 2
I'm an expert level 2

@chaosmage wrote:

So, would I have to change my Toronto number to a Waterloo number or can I keep my Toronto number as it is?

No matter what area code you have, your outbound local calling area is determined by your physical location. If you have a TO number and call a TO number while you are physically in Waterloo, then you will incur LD charges. If you have a TO number and receive a call from anywhere while you are in Waterloo, you will be charged LD. 

Your outbound LCA follows your physical location. Your number makes no difference. Your inbound LCA does not move, meaing when you leave it, you will be charged LD for inbound calls.

chaosmage

So, any incoming calls from Waterloo while I am in Waterloo will be considered local?

Hey chaosmage!

If you have a Toronto number, calls:

- from Toronto to Toronto are local
- received while in Toronto are local
- from Waterloo to Waterloo are local
- received while in Waterloo are long distance
- from Toronto to Waterloo or the other way around are long distance

Basically, calls placed to the same local calling area than the one you are physically in are local, calls received while in your local calling area are local, calls received while outside of your local calling area are long distance and calls placed to a different local calling area than the one you are in are long distance.

I hope this clarifies.

Angel_17
I'm a participant level 1
I'm a participant level 1

So if i recieve a call from waterloo while i am in Toronto and I have a Toronto number, is that long distance for me?

Anonymous
Not applicable

no it doesnt  the initial caller PAYS to call you long distance,  you just receive a call,  if it was the other way around and the recipiant would get charged, i would go to china or paki stand and call you from there and rack up your charges, but i cant because it does not work that way.