cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extended Coverage - Newfoundland

slimthumb
I'm a participant level 2
I'm a participant level 2

I am going to Newfoundland for two weeks in the summer. I have a Fido Pulse BYOP plan with unlimited Canada-wide talk and text and 3GB data per month.

I read that Bell and Telus are the major players in NL, but not Rogers (and Fido as subsidiary). Therefore I presume my Fido phone has to use another network (Bell/ Telus) to make connections in NL. 

I also read that if my Fido phone goes out the range of Fido (/Rogers) network, calls will be charged as long distance.

If I understand correctly though, because I have a Canada-wide talk and text plan, long distance charge does not apply.

I just want to ask to make sure that this is correct.

Thanks.

***edited title***

1 REPLY 1

FidoRachel
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hey @slimthumb,

For starters, I invite you to go over our coverage map to have a better understanding of what is or isn't covered.

As you'll notice, Newfoundland isn't fully covered with our network, but this is when Extended Coverage comes in. 

When you travel outside the Fido network, your phone will connect to EXT (data roaming must be enabled). There is no additional charge to use your device within an Extended Coverage area and your usage will be deducted as it would if you were using your device at home. 

Regarding the long distance, since your plan comes with Canada-wide calling, there's nothing to worry about! You'll only be charged long distance if you call a US or international number.

Hope it helps!