cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

After iOS 12 Upgrade and new Carrier update - Bam! No more Carrier selector

cody_w
I'm a contributor level 2

If I’m in a weak coverage are I can no longer manually pick “Fido EXT” from the Carrier menu. That whole menu is gone after iOS 12 on an iPhone X. 

Note about 3 weeks ago (pervious iOS 11) I did run into that bug where the phone will no longer connect to the network and you have to restore the phone completely from backup. 

Hope its it’s not the same issue. At least this time I still have connectivity. 

Thoughts? Was this a carrier update from Fido or iOS 12 issue?

71 REPLIES 71

Kraven

Ya, me as well. The problem being the techs don’t care, it’s unlikely to get resolved as most wont see the issue unless they are in a fringe area. 

Vafu
I'm a participant level 2

Hi I am having the same issue but contrary to what you are saying the automatic network is just NOT working in my remote area. I have spent hours on this issue on the phone with Apple and Fido. Nobody seems to care but I have an $800 cell phone (which is my only access to the internet) which I cannot use in my own house because I live in a remote area.  I’m about to cancel my plan which Fido and leave. This is really a big deal for a lot of people and you should take care of it rapidly! 

cody_w

Hi Vafu, I had a similar problem back in August. This sounds stupid, but you may need to backup your phone in iTunes and then restore it again.

I'm not sure why, but Apple says this is a fix and only affects Fido and Rogers.

Vafu

@cody_w wrote:

Hi Vafu, I had a similar problem back in August. This sounds stupid, but you may need to backup your phone in iTunes and then restore it again.

I'm not sure why, but Apple says this is a fix and only affects Fido and Rogers.

THanks @cody_w
I did restore my phone and the problem was still there.  And also tried to resinstall IOS 11 but Apple confirmed that it is impossible to downgrade to IOS 11 once you have updated to IOS 12 (beware!). Like reallly impossible, event the genius bar won't be able to do it. Apple just doesn't allow it. Gasp.

The only way i though it could be done was to restore my phone to factory settings but even then, when you want to reinstall your phone back up, it reinstalls IOS 12 automatically.

Unless there'a a hack i didn't find, I think i tried eveeything. I guess i could try to not reinstall my phone's back up but that'S a big bummer to loose all that data.... and not even sure that would even work. If anyone knows more about this, let me know.... 

cody_w

Did you try to enable WiFi calling so it goes over your home internet (do you have WiFi at home?). 

FidoThomas
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hey @Vafu,

Welcome to the Community!

Hmm that doesn't sound right, the automatic network setting should be available. We'd need to have a closer look at your situation! I'm sending you a PM, we'll continue over there Smiley

Vafu

Hmm that doesn't sound right, the automatic network setting should be available. We'd need to have a closer look at your situation! I'm sending you a PM, we'll continue over there Smiley

What I mean is :  that automatic network is "technically" working, but it is not strong enough to reach my house so that i can make a decent phone call (people don't hear me at all....) nor use my data. As it is my only way to access the outside world, it's a big bummer as i work from home and need to access internet and mail through my phone. PReviously i could manually select FIDO-EXT and it was working super well. I decided to leave FIDO as this will take weeks or more to be solved.....

FidoPamela
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hi cody_w! 

Just to confirm, were you looking to make a network search or to change the carrier? Normally there should not be anything preventing you from searching for a network though it may not be possible to change the carrier. 

Also, have you tried to reset your network settings? 

Normally if our network is not available you'll automatically go on the extended network if it is available to use. 

Keep me posted! 

Steve123456

Hi I’m having the exact same issue. It’s not an iOS issue as the carrier settings have only simply been moved to the cellular tab. However, it appears it is only FIDO that doesn’t have the option available. Multiple friends on different networks still have the ability to manually choose the carrier, but everyone with Fido does not.

This is a pretty big deal as I’ve been charged multiple times for roam like home while in Canada close to the border or in remote areas of the country. I got charged a roam like home yesterday in the states where my phone surprisingly connected to a us network even though I originally has the automatic connection setting turned off before it unknowingly dissapeared.

cody_w

Hi Fido reps, is it possible for you to bump this issue up to engineering and get me a case #? 

Hey @cody_w,

We can help you escalate the matter to the technical team!

But tell me, were you able to resolve the issue with a network settings reset?

2Characters

iOS 12.1.4

Apple iPhone 8

"Searching" for cellular signal , subsequently followed by "No Service". Under 'Settings' > 'Cellular', screen is blank; shows no options. Prior to this, I believe Carrier showed Fido as 25.0.

Performed full reset on phone, even Network Settings Reset. No joy.

Is this a fido or Apple issue?

Hey @2Characters

Have you tried using the SIM card in a different phone to test it out? 

Where are you currently located? 

You can also bring your phone to an Apple store for a physical troubleshooting. 

2Characters

Hi, FidoJo.

Have you tried using the SIM card in a different phone to test it out? 

Yes, even from another network; iPhone does not list/show ICCID.

Where are you currently located? 

Greater Toronto Area

You can also bring your phone to an Apple store for a physical troubleshooting. 

Thank you for clarifying @2Characters

I did some research on my end and it seems that the best solution in your case, would be to go to an Apple store. 

If you cannot see the ICCID, it is most likely a software glitch. 

cody_w

No, a network setting reset does not correct the issue.

I'm thinking, as per a comment from someone above, that Apple decided to move around the menu, and the latest carrier update from Fido didn't take it into consideration, so the menu is inadvertantly hidden for all iOS 12 users. 

cody_w

A co-worker with iOS 12 on an iPhone X has the same problem as well. Carrier selection menu is gone!

No way to manually change carriers to Fido-EXT.

My issue is, in my neighbourhood at home sometimes I get weaker 3G coverage. The odd time I need to manually toggle to a Fido-EXT network which offers LTE.

I can't do this anymore after iOS 12.

Let's open a ticket in your account @cody_w

Sending you a PM right now. 

cody_w

Hi FidoRachel, didn’t get a private message from you! Can you let me know what’s going on. This is obviously a serious issue for iOS12 users. That needs immediate attention. 

Thanks. 

Hey Fido Community  Smiley

I would like to update everyone on this

We don’t have exact timing to share but we are working to enable this feature in iOS12 later this year. To ensure the best experience we always recommend using the automatic setting on your device. The automatic setting will connect you to another network when you enter an extended coverage area, and will quickly return to our network when you’re back.

You will still be able to manually select the network when roaming outside of Canada.

cody_w

Thanks for the update, but I beg do differ on your comments.

The "best experience" would be to allow us to manually pick an alternate network when the phone automatically drops us down to 3G coverage.

Lets face the truth, out here in BC, Fido has a lot of 3G coverage spots that are well covered by the other big 2 carriers on their LTE network.

So "best experience" would be to allow us to toggle carriers, like all the other carriers currently allow us to do.

This looks to be an oversight on Fido's part with your last carrier update that came out to support iOS 12. Someone forgot to notice the Carrier menu moved and didn't make the necessary changes in the carrier update.

Let's not hide a clear "Bug" as a "Feature"...