cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

6 TIMES TODAY! 1-647-839-9169

chayisun
I'm a participant level 3

First......647-839-9169 is a Wireless phone number operated by Fido Solutions Inc., and is located in the city of Toronto in Ontario.......

So, I've have had SIX calls from this number today. YESTERDAY 4 more. Looking for access code in order to apparently hear the message... Actually, I don't care about the message and the damned number is loading up my voice mail. I am assuming, for some reason, that it's a scam call. How does one block this number from getting through on the Fido Mobile Network? 

Also wondering why, if Fido is getting complaints about this number, There is no action on Fido's part to assist the customers from being harrassed.

thanks.

6 REPLIES 6

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello Chayisun,

I can understand the frustration. I think everyone is rather fed up about getting SPAM and SCAM calls from spoofed numbers. Unfortunately, there currently isn't much that any of the mobile providers can do to prevent them. Since the spammers/scammers use spoofed numbers, it is not possible to identify the true spammers' number. The numbers shown on caller ID do not belong to the spammers. They often belong to innocent, unsuspecting people. Unfortunately, there isn't much that can be done to prevent numbers from being spoofed. In some instances, the spammers/scammers will use the recipients' own phone numbers to make the calls. Even the RCMP are not immune to being spoofed (see here). 

Mobile providers and landline providers simply cannot block a number without absolute proof that the owner of the number is engaged in nefarious activities. If the spammers chose to spoof your number. I think you would agree that if they blocked your number simply based on its apparent use to make SPAM calls or send SPAM SMS, you would not be impressed.

The mobile providers have implemented Universal Call Blocking which is meant to block calls from malformed phone numbers. That said, I'm doubtful whether it will have much of an effect on the amount of SPAM or SCAM calls since many of them appear to have properly formed phone numbers. In addition, a new technology, STIR/SHAKEN (Secure Telephone Identity Revisited/Signature-based Handling of Asserted Information Using Tokens) is being adopted to further reduce the amount of nuisance calls (see here). However, I have my doubts as to whether those measures will reduce the amount of SPAM calls. My understanding is the STIR/SHAKEN will only identify possible SPAM calls and mark the calls as suspected SPAM.

Unfortunately, until the technology to unmask the true number of spammers/scammers is readily available (not simply the number shown on the caller ID), the only solution currently is to block the numbers on your phone.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

chayisun

Thanks for the reply.   647-839-9169 is a Wireless phone number operated by Fido Solutions Inc., and is located in the city of Toronto in Ontario.......If this is indeed a Fido phone number why can't Fido trace it? 

Thanks

Hello again,

As mentioned above, the owner of that phone number is not likely the person who is making the SPAM calls. Spammers/scammers likely have spoofed that phone number to hide their true identity. One of the tactics of the spammers/scammers is to use phone numbers from the same networks or with similar area code and prefixes to try to trick people into thinking the calls are from someone they might know. All phone numbers -- whether landline or mobile -- are in databases which are readily available online. Certain prefixes are designated as landlines, others as Rogers, Fido, Bell, etc (see here).

In addition, as you noted, the phone number is a wireless phone number. Most spammers/scammers won't likely actually use a mobile device to make the calls. It is much more likely they use computers to dial using IP phone services.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

chayisun

Thanks again.....So, I just received a call from 416-952-9332 AND another one from the previously mentioned number. The 416 number was in Mandarin and told me there was a package to pick up and to press 9 to talk to an "agent."   I didn't but was tempted to. It would be different to talk to a scammer who wasn't from India. For a change. Never ending. I wonder if there were scammers back in the 1800's in North America who used smoke signals? Anyway, I'll try to ignore the calls.

chayisun

Sorry to go on BUT....I did as suggested, put the number 647-839-9169 on block this number, along with many others, and, lo and behold I get a call this morning from the same number. If it's blocked then how did it go through yet again?

Another question...This number shows up as a Fido number. Now I realize that there are probably thousands upon thousands of numbers using Fido but why cannot Fido trace this call to see where it originates?? It shows Toronto. Can't Fido pinpoint the number? 

Thank you.

Hello again,

Unfortunately, blocking the phone number on your phone only prevents the calls from ringing your device. It does not prevent the call attempts or prevent the callers from leaving voice messages. The only way to prevent the calls from actually reaching your phone would be to block them at the network level. As mentioned previously, the mobile providers cannot block phone numbers on the networks without absolute proof of criminal activity.

If the calls are made with spoofed numbers, the number showing on your caller-ID is not the origin of the calls. The number may show as a Fido number from Toronto, but tracing the phone number would only lead to the owner (likely unaware their phone number is being used) of the phone number and not the spammers/scammers. That's why preventing the calls is so difficult.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers