cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scam or not?

Hakkyun
I'm a participant level 1
I'm a participant level 1

I just got a call from 416-759-6459 talking about a promotion. They don't have any of my information and said they are from Fido Promotional Department. Is this a scam or legitimate? They asked for driver's license, phone model, and address and offered a free phone. 

2 REPLIES 2

AndrexT
I'm a contributor level 1
I'm a contributor level 1

A week and a half ago, I fell for the same scam. Indian call Centre, phoning on behalf of Rogers / Fido and because I am such a good customer they wanted to give me a promotion of $30 off my bill. Then after a lot of phishing for infomation, they had my phone number and my email address. Then they told me they are sending a new phone. I told them No, but they said I could still get the $30 offer. Then when I was in the middle of doing three things at once, I was tricked into giving the texeted code, that he said he had sent. The got straight into my account and changed my password. I changed my password, but they were still trying to get in, so Fido Fraud Department locked it with a PIN. After reading up, the scam is that they order a phone on your account and phone on the day of delivery to see if it okay? They send a phone that is NOT the one you want and they say they will have it returned. They email you a label, but the phone doesn't go back to Fido, it goes back to them. They have a phone to sell because you gave it to them. 

The promotion is send via email from phonepromos.com The domain doesn't exist.

I am so Scam Savvy, I couldn't believe I fell for it.

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello Hakkyun,

Welcome to the community!

I think that call would most definitely be a SCAM. Firstly, I think Fido's outbound team would use an official Fido line to make calls, not a line like the 416 number. With the amount of SCAM / SPAM calls being made with spoofed phone numbers, it's possible the owner of that number had nothing to do with the call made to you. In addition, Fido's outbound team would have access to your account information. Furthermore, the conversation you note seems directed at collecting information from you.

Unfortunately, there have been a rash of SCAM calls recently offering deals on those phones (see here, here, here...). More recently, this community member unfortunately became victim of one such SCAM calls (see here). The callers claim to be from Fido (or another provider) and offer deals on high end devices. During the calls, the scammers obtain enough information from a victim to order a device. There is usually some sort of mistake with the order (ie wrong device or model or colour etc) and they provide you with a so-called return shipping label. However, the label does not return the device to the provider, but rather sends it to the scammers. There are also likely other variations of the same SCAM.

You might consider reporting the call to the Canadian Anti-Fraud Centre.

You should note that these forums are community-driven and not intended as a venue for customer services. You might consider forwarding the information to customer service (see here). In addition, they can also be contacted via Live Chat, Facebook, or Twitter. Those methods can be accessed via the contact page posted above.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers