Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving threads/posts

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello,

I understand posts are sometimes moved because other forums might be more appropriate. For example, a thread regarding Spotify posted in the General Care forum might get moved to the Apps forum. Is there any way of noting that the thread was moved? Some other forums would make note that the thread was moved by temporarily keeping the copy of the thread in the original forum but marked as MOVED. That way, the OP doesn't think that their posts were simply deleted. Users new to the forums might not realise that their posts were only moved and get discouraged from contributing any further.

Just a thought Smiley

Cheers

7 REPLIES 7

FidoRanya
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hey Cawtau, 

It's a great idea! We normally let the users know by sending them a private message and a link to the thread in which the post was moved. 

This might be more time efficient, thanks for sharing! I'll make sure to share this with the rest of the team. 

zyx
I'm qualified level 2
I'm qualified level 2

@FidoRanya wrote:

We normally let the users know by sending them a private message and a link to the thread in which the post was moved. 

Well, I just had a thread moved and I did not get a PM about it, so that part isn't working! Smiley

FidoMaria
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hey @zyx! We're suppose to notify the author of the thread when it's moved. We're still human, so it can happen that we miss one.

We'll be more vigilant next time. Smiley

zyx
I'm qualified level 2
I'm qualified level 2

@FidoMaria wrote:

Hey @zyx! We're suppose to notify the author of the thread when it's moved. We're still human, so it can happen that we miss one.

We'll be more vigilant next time. Smiley

Oh, my bad, I thought it was the system that sent the PM!

FidoMaria
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

@zyx Nope! That's a great idea though. Smiley

Hello,

I was going to mention that I liked the new 'Moved' notation for moved threads. However, I don't seem to see them anymore. At first I noticed them on my phone but not on the computer. Now I don't see them on either. Do they expire after a given period? It would be useful if they were kept permanently. There are some threads I have made a mental note where I first saw them. If I happen to miss the moved notice before it disappears I spend a lot more time searching for it. Just a thought...

Cheers

FidoStephen
Community Manager (Retired)
Community Manager (Retired)

Hey @Cawtau!

Yes, the placeholders expire automatically, but I can definitely change that. Not sure if we'd want to leave them there permanently, though, since a lot of stuff gets moved around and it may get a bit messy after time. Let's talk more about it via PM Smiley