Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fido roam charges even though we already returned to Canada

Mamameah
I'm a participant level 2

Heya everyone..

I'm looking for some clarity around roam charges. 
My daughter left Vancouver BC on July 25th at 7am via Greyhound she arrived in Seattle US around 11:30am, she stayed the night and returned via Greyhound at 11:05pm on the 26th. She was charged the $12 per day roaming fee for the 25th, 26th and 27th. I called Fido and spoke to a regular agent and a manager explaining to them that in the 26th she crossed back into Canada at 10:04pm and arrived back in Vancouver at 11:05pm at a bus depot that is an hour from the border and that does NOT pick up any US cellular tower signals. 
The Fido manager attempted to explain some bizarre concocted reasoning for the charge on the 27th, he said the charges are processed back in Ontario which is in a different time zone (3hrs ahead of BC), and so when she left the US, it was already after 1am in Ontario and indeed it was the 27th... WTF??!!

I asked him what rational sense does this make and he said that's how it is and that daily roam fees are per every 24hrs..

So I told him this is capitalistic greed and in a sense fraud. My child who is a minor and has a line on my phone plan is being defrauded of money that was charged for a service in a country she had already left prior to the 24hr mark of her third day in the US.
He said that's how it is with Fido no matter where you travel..

Before she left on her first solo trip out of Canada I frontloaded her about the Fido roam charges she will incur for the 25th and the 26th, now I get to sit down and tell her that Fido just goes ahead and charges you for days that you don't anticipate, days when you are back in your home country using the regular cell towers that you use every day... they gauge you and your minimum wage that you saved to take this trip...

what a disgusting disappointment.. thanks for nothing Fido.. after being with you for over 20 years!!

I guess every young person has to learn about corporations and how they take advantage of you...

Sad.

K. 

3 REPLIES 3

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello Mamameah,

Welcome to the community!

Sorry to hear you were not aware of the details of Fido Roam.

@Mamameah wrote:

... the charges are processed back in Ontario which is in a different time zone (3hrs ahead of BC), and so when she left the US, it was already after 1am in Ontario and indeed it was the 27th...

.... daily roam fees are per every 24hrs....

To clarify, the Fido Roam fee is charged per calendar day from first use in eligible destination until 11:59:59 PM, based on Eastern Time (ET) regardless of which time zone you are roaming in (see Full Details here).

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

Mamameah

That's crazy! So anyone that is not on the East Coast is at a complete disadvantage and has 3 hours less of roaming time which falls within the $12 per 24 hrs, how can that be justified? So just because Fido bills in Ontario during "Ontario time" we are penalized because we are in a different time zone? Everything else applies to our and your  specific time zones, ie: the time we go to work or the time school starts everyday or the time of a 6pm news broadcast or the time the sun sets as indicated by the weather network..those things don't change but for some reason Fido has decided to impose Eastern Standard Time onto our actual time on the West Coast and charges us for it 3 hrs into the future.. unreal! 

Hello again,

I do understand the issue faced when roaming in different time zones. The same Eastern Time applies when roaming in other parts of the World as well. Unfortunately, I cannot speak as to why Fido has decided to have their Fido Roam operate as it does. However, to clarify again:

@Mamameah wrote:

.... falls within the $12 per 24 hrs, ....

The Fido Roam charge is per calendar day, not per 24 hours. Each day ends at 11:59:59 PM (ET). While Fido Roam used to be per 24 hours, it had been changed to per calendar day for a while now.

Cheers