cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trick while traveling

Lalapunk
I'm a participant level 2

another tip and trick I like to use is, when Im traveling if I don't purchase a travel package I will switch my phone ot airplane mode. I can still connect to wifi and avoid any roaming charges!! Wink

***Edited to add labels***

8 REPLIES 8

KML123

Another useful method I find is to get a Temporary Suspension for the time you are gone as it completely turns off the services of your device.

This lowers the monthly rate of your plan while you have the suspension applied, so you actually will pay less for the time you are gone and not using the plan services (therefore saving money), and you don't have to worry about the device accidentally being connected to the network briefly when you turn the phone on, or accidentally turning off the Airplane Mode by hitting the wrong button, or accidentally misplacing/breaking the SIM card, etc.

-KML123

FidoRanya
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Awesome trick @KML123 .

Some conditions apply to be eligible for the suspension so make sure to reach out to customer service to make sure we can set it up for you Smiley

Renolover
I'm helpful level 2
I'm helpful level 2

Thanks for this! I thought airplane mode meant no wifi. Glad to hear it's not true.

CP7
I'm a participant level 1
I'm a participant level 1

Thanks. Also thought airplane mode disabled everything.

321SC
I'm a contributor level 1

In most phones, airplane mode is shutting down ALL wireless signals. That includes wireless, wifi and bluetooth.  Maybe the odd phones would leave the wifi running and only shut down the wireless signal.  If you want to avoid accidental roaming charges but still want to use your phone's other functions, the safest bet is to use the phone without the sim card.  You will get the sim card missing error message in most cases.

zyx
I'm qualified level 2
I'm qualified level 2

It does turn off all wireless signal, but you can turn them back on manually one at a time.

But I agree that taking out the SIM is the safest option.

Lalapunk

I travel a lot and all over the world, I always switch to Airplane mode and connect to wifi, I have never had any roaming charges Smiley Ive been doing this for years and always with iphones.

MaxineKL

What I do when "roaming" (I don't have a data plan) is do all my calling via VOIP (e.g., Skype's option to call telephones). Recently I needed to be on an hour-long conference call while on a train in the US without wifi, so I just purchased the 50 mbytes for $7.99 now available, and it was more than enough for the full hour and then some.