cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LG Android 10 tethering workaround

thePoodleFarmer
I'm experienced level 1
I'm experienced level 1

I finally got a new Android phone this year. Upgraded from a Sony Xperia with 4.4 Kitkat to an LG G7 with 10. And completely lost the ability to use USB tethering. Hotspot tethering works fine. But that doesn't help when I want to USB tether to my ASUS RT-N66U router for my home network and be able to send online documents to the network printer. The router could identify the tethered USB device but wouldn't use it.

So off to Staples, and bought a ASUS RT-N12 for $25.

Configure as a repeater. Instructions are eezee-peezee

Run a cable from the LAN port on the N12 to the WAN port on the N66. 

Use mobile hotspot to connect phone to N12 repeater.

Everything else in the house now has access to the Internet through the N66 router..

60Mbps download speed.

Just like downtown except for the combine that just drove past the house. 

🐩

3 REPLIES 3

thePoodleFarmer
I'm experienced level 1
I'm experienced level 1

Just found another use for the little $25.00 ASUS RT-N12.

Wife has been on work from home since a year ago. She has to use a work-issued Lenovo laptop though she has 3 big screens, keyboard, mouse and all the goodies in her own little workspace. Lapop connects to the internet via wireless network adapter to a wifi router down in the basement, high speed rural broadband Rogers Internet25. She had been using her FIDO mobile data up until recently, same method of wireless networking to the mobile hotspot.

So the other morning she is freakin' out. no Internet. No Rogers, no FIDO. She's tried rebooting the computer, and it won't hold a wireless connection. And she has a big meeting in 10 minutes. But I am using FIDO mobile data and it works fine.

So I login to the UI on the little ASUS I use as the go-between for my phone. Enter SSID and password for her Rogers box. Now it is a repeater for her Internet. Unplug and take into her office, plug in, power up, connect mighty little ASUS to Lenovo with 5' ethernet cable. Bypasses the wireless network adapter, computer thinks it ethernet connected. It works. 

Don't know what is up with computer wireles adapter. Corporate IT will have to fix. No Admin privileges for the users to troubleshoot or fix anything, and since it isn't mine I shouldn't bother. But I can build a network workaround if i have a few materials on hand. like MacGyver. or a Master Builder. Everything is awesome!

🐩

Thanks for sharing @thePoodleFarmer! Glad you figured it out! :D 

FidoStephane

Wow, that's an impressive workaround @thePoodleFarmer. Really creative, thanks for sharing

And congrats on the huge upgrade! From kitkat to 10, what a leap!