cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The last ICS update, specifically on the Nexus S is garbage...

mmartin
I'm a participant level 1
I'm a participant level 1

Dear Fido,

I purchased the Nexus S last year and since the ICS android update, which is terrible, the issues below are now very apparent. I have already contacted Samsung but they have no idea what they're doing. My issue in the end is that this is NOT the phone I purchased and with the forced update I would like a solution proposed so my phone is usable again please.

- phone has crashed and rebooted 4 times
-pull down menu is missing when youre on a call, you now have to exit to the home screen to view the pull down menu.
-music player loads songs much slower
-music scrolling no longer shows letters
-music stops randomly during playback and an error icon appears.
-while playing a song you could access the bottom menu and select "use as ringtone" its now gone. -Under settings and phone ringtones, music library has been removed from the options, who wants built in ring tones?!
-The BIGGEST issue is that when you get a notification or text and are listening to music, the song gets cut off and you get skipped songs 24x7. In the past the music paused when a notice came in and continued after from the same place. I cant think of a more irritating scenario!

positives: music bar is shown when hitting the close button while locked

Who ever tests the custom Android OS before Fido deploys it should be fired for incompetence.

***Edited to add labels***

1 REPLY 1

FidoJudhy
Former Moderator
Former Moderator
Hey mmartin!

We have not been made aware of any issues with the ICS update on the Nexus S so far. I myself have it and do not have issues with it.

Therefore, it would either be that the software did not install properly or that your phone is defective.

I would suggest that you try to restore your device.

Please note that all data will be deleted from the Google Nexus S as a result of this procedure. This process may or may not delete data stored on the microSD card. We recommend backing up all of your personal data before proceeding.

You may do it by doing the following:

- From the main home screen, tap menu
- Tap Settings, then Privacy
- Tap Factory data reset
- Tap Reset phone
- Enter your password if required, then tap Erase everything to confirm

If that doesn't work, or if your phone is frozen:

- Turn the power off. If your Nexus S is frozen, pull the battery out and reinsert it
- Hold the Volume Down button
- Press and release the Power button
- You are now presented with a menu that allows for Fastboot, Recovery and Clear Storage
- Select Clear Storage by pressing the Volume Down button
- Press and release the Power button
- Now simply confirm your decision: Volume Up for Yes and Volume Down for No

Please note that all data including third-party applications will be deleted from your Nexus S. Once the wipe is complete, the phone will reboot to its factory fresh state.

If that doesn't help, I'd suggest that you bring your phone to a Fido store in order to send it in for repair. They will lend you a phone while yours is away.

Let us know how it goes!