cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charged for roaming outside of Canada

Rosevelt
I'm a participant level 1
I'm a participant level 1

I was charged twice also when I turned off my data as soon as I left Canada. I have called 5th time with no answer however the last called the agent said the roaming charge start when I leave Canada, but she did not answer when I ask if in this case if I am travelling out side Canada I have to turn off my phone in order to not be charged. It is annoying because after calls no body gives a solution and expect you pais everything the say. What a thief

6 REPLIES 6

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello Rosevelt,

Welcome to the community!

Sorry to hear you've incurred roaming charges. However, you should note that disabling data and roaming data does not prevent roaming for voice and messaging. In order to prevent unintended roaming charges you would need to enable Airplane or Flight mode on your device. You would need to keep that setting enabled for the duration of your trip abroad. You can manually enable Wifi if needed.

It should also be noted that while using Wifi for regular internet access will not incur Fido Roam charges, there seems to be some misunderstanding regarding Wifi-calling. I'm not sure how people have gotten the impression that Wifi-calling does not use the networks. However, that is not true. While the calls and messages do not transmit via cellular towers, they still use the networks via the internet gateway (see image here). The cellular towers and Wifi are merely alternate means of accessing the networks. Calls and messages would not be able to complete or get sent/received without the networks. As such, using Wifi-calling is technically using Fido services and may incur roaming charges. However, they have allowed certain usage to be free from additional charges. All the messages and calls you receive (from anywhere in the world) will be taken from your plan's voice minutes and messaging limits. As well, all Wifi-calling messages and calls you make to a Canadian phone number while abroad won't incur long-distance or roaming charges (see link above). 

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

auntyc
I'm a participant level 2

I recently went on a trip to Belize.  I got the welcome Roam Like Home text message.   I had planned to use the roam like home while away.    Upon getting to the resort I hooked up to the wifi.   Numerous times when off resort I tried to use data and text etc...I always got a response saying something like I was not online or pages wouldn't load or a "failed to send" message.  After a couple days of frustration and not being able to use my phone off resort I decided to just turn off all cellular roaming.    I answered my phone once when it rang and that is it.  Other than that it was not used off resort and even on resort was only on wifi.   I was very shocked when I got my phone bill.    I expected a small charge for the one time I answered the phone for one minute but didn't expect $75 in charges for 5 days of roam like home.   In talking to customer service they say the charges are just and listed that some days I had 20 calls.   I definitely didn't have that.   My call log even confirms that no calls were made or accepted during my time there with the exception of once.    I an boggled as to how this could happen.   I had intended to use roam like home - when it was obvious that it wouldn't work in my area I gave up trying out of frustration.    I have used Roam like home in the past when travelling to either the USA or my destination in Mexico.    After not being able to use my cell off resort for data purposes it was reasonable to assume there just wasn't service in that area.     How do I submit proof that I never received or made any calls or used it off resort?     The number of calls it said I made during that period - I likely don't make that in six months.  🤷‍:female_sign:

auntyc

Can I submit a screenshot of my call log as proof that I did not make or receive the calls it said I did?  Would it even be accepted if I were to try?

Hey @auntyc 

We'll be happy to take a look at your account and clarify the roaming charges with you.

Feel free to contact us via our channels here

We'll be happy to help you! :grinning_face:

auntyc

Thank you - Fido resolved the issue for the most part.  They still charged me $15 for the one one minute phone call I accepted but credited back the other 4 days of charges.  I am not totally happy that answering the phone for one minute cost me $15 but rules are rules I guess.   I can own up to answering for the one minute so really can't dispute the charge.    I am glad that Fido resolved the rest of it and I don't have to further stress about it.   Smiley    I am satisfied with the result and will consider the one minute phone call a lesson learned.    Lol.  

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. We're glad that your situation was resolved. Smiley