cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I be charged for ROAMING if my SIM card is NOT in my phone ????

findkendwa
I'm a participant level 3
I'm a participant level 3

I will be going travelling and will get a local SIM card.  I will REMOVE my Fido SIM card for the duration of my travels.  Here are my questions: 

1.  If I use Wifi based calling (ie Whatsapp) the telephone number associated with Whatsapp is my  FIDO telephone number but if my SIM card is NOT in the phone - is it correct that I will NOT be charged roaming for these calls?

2.  If I make calls with Facetime (iphone) with my sim card REMOVED is it correct that I will NOT be charged roaming for these calls?  Similarly can I send imessages with my sim card REMOVED and NOT be charged roaming for these texts?

3. If my SIM card is removed is it correct that I will NOT receive regular texts associated with my Fido phone?

4. If my SIM card is removed will people calling my Fido phone number still receive my Voicemail message?

Thanks to anyone who can answer this! Appreciated!

1 REPLY 1

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello Findkendwa,

You will not be able to use any of your Fido services if you remove your Fido SIM. As such, you will not incur roaming charges from Fido if your SIM card is removed.

That said,

@findkendwa wrote:

...1.  If I use Wifi based calling (ie Whatsapp) the telephone number associated with Whatsapp is my  FIDO telephone number but if my SIM card is NOT in the phone - is it correct that I will NOT be charged roaming for these calls?...

As far as I am aware, WhatsApp only uses the phone number as an identifier. I believe if you replace the SIM, you will be asked whether you wish to keep your old number or switch to the new one. You should be able to use a local SIM with WhatsApp using your Fido number (see here). Though, as they note in their FAQ, if you need to re-verify your account, you must have the corresponding SIM in the device.

It should be noted that WhatsApp has been known to switch to using mobile airtime minutes (within the app) if it deems the internet connection is too slow for voice (see here). If you use a local SIM, any switch to mobile airtime minutes would be on that local SIM, not roaming with Fido.

@findkendwa wrote:

...2.  If I make calls with Facetime (iphone) with my sim card REMOVED is it correct that I will NOT be charged roaming for these calls?  Similarly can I send imessages with my sim card REMOVED and NOT be charged roaming for these texts?...

Firstly, it should be noted that there appears to be a known glitch with FaceTime and iMessage when switching SIMs (see here). As far as I am aware, you might be required to setup both services with your new number (see here). Generally, both FaceTime and iMessages use data and are not considered calls or text messages. However, since your Fido SIM is no longer in the device, you would not incur roaming charges from Fido.

@findkendwa wrote:

...3. If my SIM card is removed is it correct that I will NOT receive regular texts associated with my Fido phone?...

Since you won't be able to use any Fido services without the SIM card, you would not receive SMS/MMS sent to your Fido phone number.

@findkendwa wrote:

...4. If my SIM card is removed will people calling my Fido phone number still receive my Voicemail message?...

If your Fido SIM is removed from your device, it would be like your phone is unreachable. Anyone calling your number should automatically get sent to your voicemail. Whether they are able to leave a message or not might depend on whether there is sufficient room in your voicemail to do so.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers