Did you mean: 

Will my phone work on the Fido network?

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello,

Your device must be compatible with the Fido/Rogers network, which uses:

GSM ~ EDGE (2G) ~ on band 5 (850MHz).

UMTS or WCDMA ~ HSPA (3G) / HSPA+ (4G) ~ on band 5 (850 MHz).

To access LTE, the device must be compatible with one or more of the following:

• 700 MHz on Band 12;
  • 850MHz on Band 5;
  • 1900 MHz on Band 2, Band 25;
  • 1700/2100 MHz on Band 4, Band 66;
  • 2600 MHz on Band 7.

The more compatible bands/frequencies a phone has, the greater likelihood of service. That said, the phone does not need to be compatible with all of the bands/frequencies in order for it to work with the Fido/Rogers networks. Access to the networks would depend on the bands/frequencies of the surrounding towers. Not all of the towers use all of the bands/frequencies. For more info, see here.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

63 REPLIES 63

Hello Phdude,

I think the use of smaller SIMs is a space saving measure. Real estate is a premium in phones. Phone manufacturers want to pack as much technology as they can into relatively small spaces. The reduction in SIM size makes additional room for other parts. 

If I remember correctly, I believe the cost of a new SIM is approximately $10 (before taxes). While fewer and fewer devices might be designed with micro-SIMs in mind, that sized-SIM would still work in older devices. In fact, I believe most newer SIMs are now tri-SIMs (see image here). That is, they are designed to be either standard-, micro-, or nano-sized, depending on one's needs.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

phdude
I'm a participant level 2

As always, your responses are very helpful Cawtau.  Cudos !

Best regards.

Sonny875

it wont download ,data is on .

Sonny875

i got a new sony xperia xa2 ultra .pic wont donwload .i got texts from diff numbers with pics. data is no issue .

Hello Sonny875,

Have you verified whether the phone has the necessary compatible bands/frequencies? You can verify those at the beginning of this thread.

Have you verified that the phone is using the proper APN settings? If the phone is LTE-capable, it should be using ltemobile.apn. You can verify the proper settings here. You should also verify that the APN includes the MMSC, MMS Proxy, and MMS Port settings.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

jpcaron
I'm a contributor level 1
I'm a contributor level 1

Since its not a FIDO phone you wont get all the feature like WiFi Calling and VoLTE, One guy from fido shop in Quebec told me i should change carrier

Hey @jpcaron. We answered your other post

Croustibat

Hello, I'm thinking of buying Xiaomi Mi 9 which was announced and should come out very soon.

From what I've seen on the internet, I should support LTE bands 4, 7 and 12 but not 17.

On a previous post, you said LTE band 12 is used by Fido in certain provinces. Is it used in QC and more precisely in Montreal ?

From what I see, using this phone shouldn't be a problem at all, even though it's missing band 17. Am I right ?

Thank you !

Hey @Croustibat

We're not able to provide the exact regional breakdown of which provinces are covered by this LTE band. We also cannot confirm 100% guaranteed service on non-Fido phones. That being said, if you're phone is compatible with Band 4 and or Band 7, the LTE should work well. Smiley 

Croustibat

Ok thank you !

My pleasure @Croustibat! Smiley 

jaggu2001
I'm a participant level 1
I'm a participant level 1

Hi, I have unlocked iphone 6s and gettimg only 3g network. How do I get LTE? I have added APN but no luck. 

Thnaks,

JP

@jaggu2001wrote:

Hi, I have unlocked iphone 6s and gettimg only 3g network. How do I get LTE? I have added APN but no luck. 

Thnaks,

JP

Do you have an LTE SIM card? What type of mobile network is selected?

Hey @jaggu2001!

Were you able to connect to LTE in the end?

The Community would like to know!

Hey @jaggu2001

Welcome to the Community!

iPhones do not require APNs to be added manually. Can you please confirm how and where did you add it?

Have you checked your device's settings and enabled LTE?

Let me know how it goes.

samgabbay
I'm helpful level 2
I'm helpful level 2

Hey @Cawtau, Fantastic post, but it would be good to note on the answer post that the 2G Frequencies are to be disconnected in 2018, and users should maybe avoid using that band.

Cheers

Hello Samgabbay,

Welcome to the community!

Thanks! That's a great suggestion!

Do you have any further information other than committed support until 2018? While it has been widely rumoured that Rogers plans to decommission the 2G (GSM) network by 2018, there has been no official statement from Rogers to that fact. Did you see my earlier post above? I just find it peculiar that the Rogers Enterprise description of their Network Coverage switched from ...committed support until 2018, to ... only national carrier offering combined GSM, GPRS, EDGE, 4G HSPA+, LTE... with no mention of 2018. Note that it's the same source -- referenced by Wikipedia-- which likely started the rumours with the original statement.

Admittedly, I haven't been able to find any corroboration but if the dates in the graphic are correct, then the decommission of the 2G network won't occur until 2020.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

samgabbay
I'm helpful level 2
I'm helpful level 2

Hey @Cawtau

Thanks Smiley 

Same story and this is the reason why i fear buying another 2G phone...Ive spoken with Customer support and no one seems to have a single idea about when the disconnection will actually occur. 

Appreciate the response Smiley

strauss44
I'm a participant level 3

One of the things to consider is the age of the cell phone.  I am a Fido legacy user (long, long time), but my needs regarding cell phones are relatively small.  Hence I do not need to upgrade my hardware often.  My current Nokia is around seven years old.  This caused an interesting situation on a long road trip from Calgary to Charlottetown.  There was no Fido service from Easter Saskatchewan to Sault Ste. Marie, and again in Eastern Quebec and Newbrunswick.  However that was only for "my old" hardware.  On calls to Fido, we discovered that on cell towers that are either new, or have been replaced, or remodelled, the old technology does likely not exist.  Only on towers that are, in fact, also old, without having been remodelled, is the old technology still present.  Where the old is present it is of high quality and just keeps working.  No one could however say for how much longer.  SO... one day I'll just have to upgrade.

Hello Strauss44,

Welcome to the community!

I'm guessing that your old Nokia phone is a 2G or GSM only device.

It is true that Rogers is no longer increasing its GSM coverage footprint and has only committed to support its 2G GSM network until 2018 (see here). However, I think the likely reason you experienced those service outages along your road trip is because you might have travelled through areas not covered by Fido/Rogers' towers (see here). Newer phones/devices would have been able to roam on the other networks as Fido-EXT (Extended Coverage) when outside of Fido/Rogers coverage. However, none of the other service providers in those areas offer 2G services anymore. Even when they did still offer them, they were on the incompatible CDMA network.

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find a more definitive date for when the GSM network is to be decommissioned.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

strauss44

@Cawtau wrote:
  I'm guessing that your old Nokia phone is a 2G or GSM only device.

It is true that Rogers is no longer increasing its GSM coverage footprint and has only committed to support its 2G GSM network until 2018 (see here). However, I think the likely reason you experienced those service outages along your road trip is because you might have travelled through areas not covered by Fido/Rogers' towers.

Hello Cawtau,

I was told there was Fido coverage in all the areas where we travelled, at least that's what I was told by Fido IT.  It's simply that the technology for our phone was on all the towers.  It's not really a problem for me, because where I live there still is coverage for my "old" techology phone.  When the time comes, I have no issue with having to upgrade if and when either the phone quits or if the tower equipment is demobed, whichever comes first.  I have had good service out of an already 7 year old cell phone.