cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4G same as LTE?

drtse
I'm a participant level 2

Just switched to an unlocked S7 edge global phone...it only shows 4G in the top right corner whereas on my previous LG G3 phone it would show LTE.

Is it the same or am I actually getting less speed?

I have set my ltemobile.apn as per the recommended settings found in other forum threads.

Thx

3 REPLIES 3

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello Drtse,

Welcome to the community!

Short answer: it depends on the phone. Since your phone is the global version of the S7 Edge, it is possible that the 4G symbol refers to LTE.

The HSPA+ protocol ('3G') has been represented as H+ or 4G on some phones. On the other hand 4G, 4GLTE, and LTE have been used to represent long-term evolution or LTE (4G). Phones capable of using carrier aggregation will show 4G+ or LTE+ when connected with LTE-advanced.

You should be able to determine to which network your phone is connected using the service mode code *#0011#  (see here).

Your phone should automatically connect to the best network given your situation. Note that the best network might not necessarily be LTE. There are many factors which can affect signal strength and which network would be best at any given moment. You should also note that there are many factors which can affect speeds -- even when connected to the LTE network.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

drtse

Great info!

I tried the ServiceMode code and got:

Band: 7    BW:20 MHz

Shouldn't it be running on 2600 MHz?

Hello again,

As noted previously, your phone will connect to the best network (best band/frequency) given your current situation. **edit** So it may not always connect to band 7 BW:20MHz.** That said, band 7 is 2600MHz Smiley  So you are connected to the LTE network! You can verify the other bands/frequencies here.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers