cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wondering if Fido has an option to block "Unknown Number"

Agilispeed
I'm a participant level 2
I'm a participant level 2

Over the past 2 weeks I've received repeated "Unknown Number" calls, multiple times a day ( roughly 2 hour intervals). When I answer, there is nothing at the other end! It's starting to get very anoying and disturbing. 

Has Fido figured out how to offer a call blocking option on those "Unknown Number" calls, like alot of other service providers do offer? 

Limitting calls to the numbers in my contact list is not an option and since there is no number to block, I can not block those! 

Any solutions??

Thanks

1 REPLY 1

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello Agilispeed,

Welcome to the community!

I think everyone is rather fed up about getting SPAM and SCAM calls. Unfortunately, I don't think there is anything a provider can do to block unknown phone numbers. There are customers who choose not to have their caller-ID show with calls for privacy reasons. Many of those calls will show as Unknown in the caller-ID.

The mobile providers have implemented Universal Call Blocking which is meant to block calls from malformed phone numbers. That said, I'm doubtful whether it will have much of an effect on the amount of SPAM or SCAM calls since many of them appear to have properly formed phone numbers. In addition, a new technology, STIR/SHAKEN (Secure Telephone Identity Revisited/Signature-based Handling of Asserted Information Using Tokens) is being adopted to further reduce the amount of nuisance calls (see here). However, I have my doubts as to whether those measures will reduce the amount of SPAM calls. My understanding is the STIR/SHAKEN will only identify possible SPAM calls and mark the calls as suspected SPAM.

What phone do you have? Some phones have the option to block calls from Unknown numbers. You should note that blocking the calls only prevents the calls from ringing your phone. It does not prevent the callers from leaving voicemail. 

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers