Showing results forĀ 
Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 

Wifi Calling Issues in registeration

fahadwahid96
I'm a participant level 2

Hello,

I just recently switched to Fido and I went with their most basic text and talk plan. I was trying to register for Wifi calling and it gives me this error message  "Looks like your device isn't eligible for Wifi Calling". Just an FYI, I was trying to register for Wifi calling before the whole service crashing issue. 

I have a Samsung S20 plus 5g, which I think is more than enough to be eligible for Wifi calling.

Thank you in advance for all your replies and help.

4 REPLIES 4

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello Fahadwahid96,

Welcome to the community!

I understand the error message you receive seems to indicate the issue might be related to your device. However, I don't think Wifi-calling is available with Talk & Text plans:

Wifi-calling.jpg

~taken from link above.

According to their specifications, I think you would need a Data, Talk, & Text plan in order to avail of the Wifi-calling feature.

Hope this helps šŸ˜€

Cheers

Hello again,

Apologies for neglecting to query this in my earlier reply. Is your Samsung S20+ 5G the Canadian version (SM-G986W) of the device (see here)?

Generally, devices not purchased nor available from Fido won't likely be supported for certain functions, like voLTE and Wifi-calling. However, Fido has allowed certain grey-market (ie Canadian version of devices carried by Fido but purchased elsewhere) to use the service (see here).

Unfortunately, if you have one of the other variants, I don't think you will be able to get those features to work on the networks. That could explain the error message you did receive. However, I think you would still need a Data, Talk, & Text plan in order to use the feature.

Hope this helps šŸ˜€

Cheers

fahadwahid96

Thanks for the solutions provided.

I have a Samsung SM-986B/DS. How do I see if this device is compatible or not?

Thank you in advance for the reply.

Hello again,

Thank you for the additional information. I believe that version is the UK variant of the device. According to the specifics listed in the link above, these appear to be its compatible bands/frequencies:

2G GSM: GSM850, GSM900, DCS1800, PCS1900
3G: UTMS 850(B5), 900(B8), 1700|2100(B4), 1900(B2), 2100(B1)
4G FDD LTE: 700(B12) / 700(B13) / 700(B17) / 700(B28) / 800(B18) / 800(B19) / 800(B20) / 850(B5) / 850(B26) / 900(B8) /1500(B32) / 1700|2100(B4) / 1700|2100 (B66) / 1800(B3) / 1900(B2) / 1900(B25) / 2100(B1) / 2600(B7)
4G TDD LTE : 1900(B39) / 2300(B40) / 2500(B41) / 2600(B38) / 3500(B42)
5G: Band N78 (3500)

According those specifications, that version should have all of the compatible bands/frequencies for the 2G, '3G', and LTE networks. You can verify the compatible bands/frequencies here. It should be noted that Fido does not currently offer 5G services. While the device should work on the networks, as previously mentioned, it's unlikely voLTE and/or Wifi-calling will work since it is not the Canadian version.

That said, if you wanted to still attempt to enable the feature, you would need to satisfy the other requirement (ie have Data, Talk, & Text plan). If you have a compatible plan and you still get the same error, then I unfortunately don't think Wifi-calling will work with that device.

Hope this helps šŸ˜€

Cheers