cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unique Tethering Problem

321SC
I'm a contributor level 1

I am facing a tethering problem which I cannot explain why.  I have 4 phones, A1, A2, B and C.  A1 and A2 are exactly the same make and model.  A1, A2 and B cannot tether but C can.  Cannot tether means a second device (tablet or iPad) can login to the tethering SSID but no data can pass through.  The tablet or iPad continues to stay offline.  Phone C tethers no problem at all.

I compared all of their ltemobile.apn settings. They are the default and are exactly the same.  I asked my overseas friend who also has the same phone as A1 and B to try the tethering.  He has no problem on both of them.  This rules out system software and hardware incompatable problems.  It is hard to belief A1 A2 and B, all 3 phones are having exactly the same hardware defects.  I even went as far as using a Rogers SIM card in A1 but found the same result.  One thing I did not do was to use a Bell or Telus SIM card.  Could it be something unique to the Rogers/Fido network that is incompatable with phones A and B?  I am not sure if there should be some minor changes to the apn settings in order for it to work.

A1, A2 are Xiaomi Redmi Note 2 (4G LTE)

B is Xiaomi 4i (4G LTE)

C is LG P705 (3G)

I have tried switching A1, A2 and A3 to 3G mode.  It did not help.  I also tried disabling the security setting from WPA2 PSK to none.  It did not help either.  All phones work properly when using the wireless data.

8 REPLIES 8

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

@321SC wrote:

I am facing a tethering problem which I cannot explain why.  I have 4 phones, A1, A2, B and C.  A1 and A2 are exactly the same make and model.  A1, A2 and B cannot tether but C can.  Cannot tether means a second device (tablet or iPad) can login to the tethering SSID but no data can pass through.  The tablet or iPad continues to stay offline.  Phone C tethers no problem at all.

I compared all of their ltemobile.apn settings. They are the default and are exactly the same.  I asked my overseas friend who also has the same phone as A1 and B to try the tethering.  He has no problem on both of them.  This rules out system software and hardware incompatable problems.  It is hard to belief A1 A2 and B, all 3 phones are having exactly the same hardware defects.  I even went as far as using a Rogers SIM card in A1 but found the same result.  One thing I did not do was to use a Bell or Telus SIM card.  Could it be something unique to the Rogers/Fido network that is incompatable with phones A and B?  I am not sure if there should be some minor changes to the apn settings in order for it to work.

A1, A2 are Xiaomi Redmi Note 2 (4G LTE)

B is Xiaomi 4i (4G LTE)

C is LG P705 (3G)

I have tried switching A1, A2 and A3 to 3G mode.  It did not help.  I also tried disabling the security setting from WPA2 PSK to none.  It did not help either.  All phones work properly when using the wireless data.

Hello 321SC,

I understand your friend overseas does not have the same problems tethering as you are experiencing. However, it is possible that they own different versions of those phones. After doing a little research, it sounds like that issue is common with Xiaomi phones (see here, here, here, and here) so it might very well be a software bug. You might consider reaching out on that forum to see if anyone can provide you with a solution.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

321SC

I found where the problem is.  In deed it is a system software bug!  These phones have two SIM card slots.  If the second slot is left empty, tethering won't work.  If the second slot is occupied, even by an expired SIM, tethering works fine.  My overseas friend had two sims when he was doing the test for me.

Thank you for triggering my curiosity.

FidoManuel
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Ohhh well!

Looks like you find out! I'm glad you did Smiley 

Let me know if you have any other question/issue.

FidoManuel
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hey 321SC!

Can you confirm the following details: 

-you have data on A1,A2 and B

-you are able to browse online (while WI-FI is disabled)

Are you having an error message when another device tries to connect to A1,A2 or B?

Are you able to ''see'' the networks created by each device when searching the tether sport from another device?

Did you had the same problem when testing with a sim card from another network?

321SC

One point I wish to add is A1, A2 and B were purchased together with my friend's overseas phone, so they are (in theory) the same version and even the same production batch.  In fact, I even compared the software version with him and found they were identical.  The only difference was the carrier, mine: Fido, his: whatever.

Fortunately, tethering is a secondary nice to have function, not something essential.

AdamBeast
I'm qualified level 2
I'm qualified level 2

To use tethering , you plan must be eliglible as well, are you using one phone number with 4 different phones, or are you using 4 different numbers with differenct plans with 4 phones? 

If you were using one phone number with 4 differenct phones, it must be a device issue than. 

And in the 2nd case, you may need to consult an agent whether your plan does support tethering or not. 

AdamBeast
I'm qualified level 2
I'm qualified level 2

Oh, sorry did not see your last posts, and I am glad that your problem is sovled as well:) . 

321SC

Thanks and will do.