Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems receiving verifications SMSes to 263 area code

nik_qc
I'm a contributor level 1

Hi,

Looking for community experience with an odd issue. I have just switched to Fido with my wife and we have intentionally changed the phone numbers (I have preserved the old ones with my VoIP provider). We have got new phone numbers from 263 area code - +1 263-88x.

We have attempted to change the 2FA phone number with some companies, primarily banks to the new ones. None of us receives the verification SMSes to these new numbers. This includes two major Canadian banks and another financial company. Voice calls work, of course. Sending SMSes work fine between the phones. Seem to work from different Canadian operators. Sending and receiving works between me and my wife, both ways.

I did some testing via several "test SMS" providers. The results are mixed. I was able to send myself a test SMS from Textr and BulkSMS, but it did not work from many others. Some even refused 263 area code as a Canadian one.

Is there a known issue with sending SMSes to these relatively new prefixes from well-known SMS gateways/aggregators?

12 REPLIES 12

nik_qc

Update: TD did seem to fix the issue on their side.

FidoJayJay
I'm a participant level 1
I'm a participant level 1

I have the same exact problem. Many codes I need to receive to confirm my identity, I'm not receiving. This is the case for PayPal and Klarna. I simply don't receive their codes, meaning I can't proceed and use their services. It's terribly frustrating.

nik_qc

Update. Everyone is pushing back, as usually - the customer is always wrong in Canada Wink Inventing all sort of reasons not to do anything.

I did a number of tests and concluded that the problem must be with some SMS gateways and/or with some services

having outdated list of phone prefixes for Canada.

Rogers support replied saying they found nothing wrong from the network side.

Finally, today, I have decided to get to the bottom of it with the most vulnerable Wink service - TD Canada Trust. Went through a number of "that's your phone", "reboot your computer" etc usual suggestions. Finally had a conversation with one lady who actually did know what the SMS and 2FA is. She confirmed to me that, indeed, there was a problem on their side. Known problem. Apparently, it exists for a while. They are "working" on it, but no ETA.

I assume other banks are either using  the same SMS gateway/aggregator to send their 2FA messages OR having similar problems of their own. Bottom line: Canadian business is out of sync with CRTS and phone operators, unable to offer the consumers a reliable solution while, in some cases, making SMS-based 2FA mandatory with no other (better) options.

Hello @nik_qc thanks for the update, I'm glad you were able to get someone to admit to a problem and hopefully they get it resolved, indeed it is a hard thing for companies to do and it's just easier to blame the next person.

nik_qc

Exactly, and that's the general problem today in business. Lack of transparency. Assuming the customers are morons, and they won't understand that nobody is perfect. Personally, I respect businesses that do not hide the issues, fix them and the same issues do not happen again. Unfortunately, so  far, I can name very few businesses that did demonstrate such attitude.

KAPABLE-K
MVP MVP
MVP

@nik_qc, When did you join Fdio and update the number with the other companies that you are trying to receive the 2FA codes? Sometimes when you get a new number you have to wait a few days 48-72 hours before you start receiving 2FA.

nik_qc

2 weeks. Yes, I know about the possible delay.

nik_qc

Another interesting, but probably irrelevant observation. When I tried to make a test call from my old Koodo number (514 area code) to the new Fido one (263 area code) Koodo was saying it is a "long distance call". Both area codes are supposed to be local for Montreal.

Hello @nik_qc, that would be something you will need to discuss with Koodo because they are the ones saying it's a long-distance call.

nik_qc

I know. But I also know that the prefixes are allocated by blocks to the carriers by CRTC and the carriers control the routing. I did say it is most likely irrelevant, but given the nature of the issue I experience, who knows. At least one SMS provider I tested insisted that my number is not a Canadian one...

Hi @nik_qc , I don't know what devices you are using but if they are android, try using a different messaging app. I use the Google messenger app for all my sms and mms service and it performs much better than the stock messenger. If you have iPhone,  I suggest that you contact an apple genius to see if they can assist. If all else fails fido tech support is a great resource. See Here  to contact. Hope you get a quick resolution 

nik_qc

As I said above, the same devices worked fine with Koodo 24 hours ago. So....none of these arguments makes sense. Fido tech support has already attempted something, failed, sent it to the back office.

P.S. IT guy here Smiley